Upgrade parts for Ton Noteboom Saturn 1B and Saturn V

mysteroid

Hello there! I've been tinkering with Apollo/Saturn parts for what seems like forever and finally managed to finish something. Just posted some parts to the resource section. They are several pages of upgrade parts for Ton Noteboom's Saturn 1B.

I built Ton's 1B years ago and really appreciated its simple, clean design. I wanted to have a more detailed rocket though so I set out making some improvements. The uploaded parts are mostly direct replacements for Ton's parts. Everything except the J2 engine and the tanks can be built according to Ton's instructions. The tanks are pretty self-explanatory, the engine not so much. Apologies but no instructions for the engine are done at this time.

I have also done a bit of a redesign on the SIVB and interstage to make them mate more tightly. I will post those files at a later date, they still need some tweaking.

I have made some effort at accuracy (spent way too much time staring at NASA photographs) however there is a ton of guesswork in these drawings.

Finally a shout out to Ton for designing his wonderful Apollo models to being with, and to Josef Slavicek, who kindly gave permission to include his LES/CM/SM/SLA drawings with this release. I have only included the SLA drawing for now, the others will follow. His contact information is on the SLA page if you would like to check out his fantastic Apollo models.

Since this is the first model I have ever released to the public, feedback is welcome. Thanks for looking!

the mole

Hi Mysteroid
Thanks for the upgrades, they look great. Can't wait to see what else you do. I have built this kit but it has been years ago.
I built it to fly on ESTES engines and it flew well but after a while, it crashed.

mysteroid

Thanks Ponytail2 and the mole! I need to finish up the 1B files, but I have gotten carried away with having a go at the Saturn V Stage 2. This designing, modifying, recoloring bug is very addictive!

mysteroid

I just uploaded a revised J2 parts file. No changes to the engine, deleted the unused parts, added part numbers and made a simple instruction sheet. Enjoy!

mysteroid

I thought some pictures would be nice.

This is a test build, so the finished SIVB parts have a few minor changes. The Interstage is almost final here as well.

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0348a.jpg

Interior details for the interstage. I haven't uploaded these parts yet.

DSC_0355a (2).jpg

Finally the S1B in all its glory. You can see on the left what's been taking time away from finishing the 1B. Will get the Saturn V SII out soon.

Steve

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Lovely, I would have to hang it to display something like that. But my wife would strangle me if I did.

the mole

Thanks, mysteroid for all the things you have done looks good. I hope your talent keeps going to improve these great kits. Once again THANKS.

mysteroid

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm only standing on the shoulders of giants that came before me. Hopefully my additions can be counted as improvements!

Steve

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The engine really looks good! You are doing a great job on these projects! Thank you very much!!!