TOS Enterprise Bridge build

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
WOW!!! I always loved this model and having the chance to see it builded by its own author... well... it's a rare opportunity!
This is the Zealot I love!
Thanks for this thread Ron, you are a Master and I'm looking your work in religious silence :)
Thank you! I always test build my work during the design process to improve the parts, sequence of assembly, etc. This way I can insure that the model can be built (following the assembly instructions!). But a build thread is even more informative.

Glad to see Zealot back up and members getting involved again!

Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
I was totally surprised to see Ron Caudillo building his TOS Bridge! I have been watching his build since the first post in amazement. As Tonino said "it's a rare opportunity" to watch a designer of such a great model building his own model. I will keep watching till the end.
Thank you! It's good to find some time again to be back in the game.

Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- The larger crew stations (Now it gets really nice looking!)

043: Pre-fold the top of the crew station. Glue the center joint first of the panels area. I forgot to take a photo before continuing so ther is more done that would normally be in this photo.

044: This is what photo 043 would look like when completed. The lower portion of the larger crew station is also shown. BE SURE TO MATCH UP THE EXACT PARTS OF EACH CREW STATION and work only one station at a time to help keep the parts together as they should be.

045: Line up the outer edge of the overhang and glue across the tab. Be sure that the ends are even. The edge alignment of the crew stations is CRITICAL to have them fit properly on the raised deck.

046: Work from the edge towards the center to press on the glue joint to ensure the edge alignment stays correct.

047: Pre-fold the bottom of the crew station. Work on the joint of the lower crew station. I find that if you work from the bottom of this part towards the top, the joint stays in correct alignment.

048: Finishing the joint at the top.

049: Edge coloring with these watercolor pencils is easy and looks GREAT! For those of you that do not yet color the edges, this makes ALL the difference in the appearance of the build.

050: The four major parts for a single larger crew station. Ready to join the top to the bottom of the station.

051: Fold the overhang of the top really well, this will help ensure it is the proper shape and make alignment/assembly easier. Glue the tabs at the tom of the bottom piece up under the overhang of the top part. The red edges hang down. Make sure the edges of the bottom are tucked right up to the fold of the red overhang and that the side edges are EVEN.

052: The rear of the assembly so far showing the tabs correctly in place.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 043 Glue center tab first- out of sequence.JPG
    043 Glue center tab first- out of sequence.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 044 Station start.JPG
    044 Station start.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 045 line up edge glue top seam.JPG
    045 line up edge glue top seam.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 046 Move to center to finish glue.JPG
    046 Move to center to finish glue.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 047 Line up edge and glue top seam.JPG
    047 Line up edge and glue top seam.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 048 Move to bottom.JPG
    048 Move to bottom.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 049 Edge coloring works.JPG
    049 Edge coloring works.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 050 Console parts.JPG
    050 Console parts.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 051 Glue top to bottom.JPG
    051 Glue top to bottom.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 052 back of glue joint.JPG
    052 back of glue joint.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 7

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Your bridge model was my first build thread. http://www.zealot.com/threads/tos-e-bridge.177663/ It was destroyed with most of my other models when we moved last summer. :( My building skills has improved since then, so when I rebuild it, it should look even better.
That was very appreciated! Sorry the models were lost, it's very hard to move them, I know! Hopefully this will help you build a museum quality bridge! Good luck!

Ron Caudillo

Last edited:

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- The larger crew station continues...

053: Assembling the sides to the crew stations. Be sure that the end pieces (parts 27) do NOT extend past the end edges of the crew station top and bottom. If they do, you will run out of room as you glue them into place next to each other. It is better to have the sides slightly recessed. Start with one of the sides only. Begin by gluing the two surfaces I am pinching in this photo. Be sure the side is completely inserted to the point formed by the top and bottom of the joined console parts (at the red overhang). Let this set up for a few minutes before continuing.

054 and 055: Work upwards along the side to join the surface in the photo. I used my thumbnail to try to tuck into the upper panel overhang. Let this dry for a few minutes before continuing.

056 and 057: Start at the bottom of the upper panel and work upwards to glue this tab.

059: Glue the bottom tab of the side. Repeat the procedures in this reply for the other side.

060: The sides of the crew station are not structurally strong right now and you will notice bending and creasing on the sides as shown at the tweezers in this photo. When the crew stations are glued together later, this will be resolved. Glue down the top. For now, I would suggest not handling the stations but keep them safely put to the side. Assemble the remaining larger five crew stations (for a total of six). I will cover the two remaining smaller crew stations in the next reply.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 053 Glue the two edges first Then the bottom side.JPG
    053 Glue the two edges first Then the bottom side.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 054 Glue the back next.JPG
    054 Glue the back next.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 055 Hold in the underside.JPG
    055 Hold in the underside.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 056 And glue the top side working from the bottom.JPG
    056 And glue the top side working from the bottom.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 057 To the top.JPG
    057 To the top.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 058 Glue the bottom tab then top when both sides are in place.JPG
    058 Glue the bottom tab then top when both sides are in place.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 059 Note the sides may bend but will be ok for now.JPG
    059 Note the sides may bend but will be ok for now.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 8

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- The smaller crew stations.

060: Form both the top and bottom pieces, glue together as you did for the larger stations so that the red overhangs. Be sure that the edges are even. The two sides are also shown in this photo.

061: Glue on one of the sides as you did for the larger stations Be sure the sides do not stick out further than the edges of the top and bottom side edges. As you did with the larger stations, it is better to have the side pieces slightly inset past the edges of the top and bottom side edges.

063 and 063: Using my thumbnail, I continue working up and push the top edges into place to glue.

064 and 065: Working up the seam, glue the upper panel into place.

066: Glue the bottom edge. Glue the other side into place, following the steps in this reply.

067 and 068: Glue the top edge into place working from the corner outward. Repeat the entire steps in this reply for the other smaller station.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 060 Small console assembly.JPG
    060 Small console assembly.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 061 Assy continued as with the large one.JPG
    061 Assy continued as with the large one.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 062 Assy continued.JPG
    062 Assy continued.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 063 Assy continued.JPG
    063 Assy continued.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 5
  • 064 Assy continued.JPG
    064 Assy continued.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 065 Assy continued.JPG
    065 Assy continued.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 066 Assy continued.JPG
    066 Assy continued.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 067 Assy continued.JPG
    067 Assy continued.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 068 Assy complete.JPG
    068 Assy complete.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 5

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- Station accessories.

Computer console of the Library Computer station:
069: Cutout the computer console.

070: Fold into shape, take care to note which folds are mountain and which folds are valley. I start by gluing the monitor portion across the top.

071: Glue the side of the monitor into place and then edge glue the back of the monitor to the rear upright portion of the computer console.

072: Edge glue the bottom of the monitor to the keyboard of the computer console.

072 and 073: Glue the computer console into place, making sure to cover the white portion of the station.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 069 Science console.JPG
    069 Science console.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 070 Begin with the monitor.JPG
    070 Begin with the monitor.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 071 Monitor glued to keyboard.JPG
    071 Monitor glued to keyboard.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 072 Completed science console.JPG
    072 Completed science console.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 073 Glue in place.JPG
    073 Glue in place.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 6
  • 074 Completed.JPG
    074 Completed.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 6

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- Station accessories (continued)

For the viewers of the Library Computer, Engineering, and Environmental stations:
075: Cut out the viewer.

076: Fold up and glue together the side.

077: Fold down the top and glue onto the tab.

078{ Note that the round knob detail will be on the left side when the viewer is glued into place (the photo shows the right side, however).

For the intercomms of the Library Computer, Communications, and Engineering stations:
079: Note the red dotted lines, the two small triangles are to be folded DOWN when the part is cut out.

080: I don't completely cut out the intercomm so that I have something to hold onto to edge color and fold the two triangles. After doing this, I cut the part off completely.

081: Glue into place on the white "U" of the station. When correctly placed, the intercom is 45 degrees slanted to the rear.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 075 Viewer.JPG
    075 Viewer.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 076 Glue sides together.JPG
    076 Glue sides together.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 077 Glue top down.JPG
    077 Glue top down.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 078 Glue viewer in place.JPG
    078 Glue viewer in place.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 6
  • 079 Intercom folds.JPG
    079 Intercom folds.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 080 Fold in sides.JPG
    080 Fold in sides.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 081 Glue in place.JPG
    081 Glue in place.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 6

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I really like how this is coming together! I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out!
I can see greebling potential in this model!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
So, that's how these Starships were built, massive people with massive hands, putting them together. No matter why they built them in the middle of Kansas (or Wisconsin, I forget), enough corn to feed them out their, and grain too, throw in a heard of cows for lunch, baddaboombaddabing, a Starship!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
INDEED:

Apollo%27s_hand_grips_the_Enterprise%2C_remastered.jpg

source: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/m...o's_hand_grips_the_Enterprise,_remastered.jpg

:lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Back from vacation, back to it.

Main Viewer and optional main screens.

082: Note the fold line in the CENTER of the black vertical stripe AND the tab just to the inside of it. Cut out part 33, cut out the rectangle as indicated. Form the main viewer taking note that there both mountain and valley folds for this part.

083: Note there is an indented "notch" at the bottom of part 34. This is to allow insertion of optional main viewer screens. Cut out and form parts 32 and 34.

084: Glue part 32 to the top of part 33 starting with the area directly above the main viewer cutout. Be sure that this is centered over the main viewer.

085: Then glue the top of the areas to each side of the main viewer cutout. Be sure the ends meet exactly so there is no fit problems later on.

086: Glue part 34 to the the bottom area directly below the main viewer cutout. Then finish the side areas on each side. Be sure the ends meet exactly so there are no fit problems later on. The phot0 shows the completer main viewer.

087: Cut out and fold part 35. I form this part around one of the cut out one of the optional viewer screens so ensure the screen can fit inside. The white areas on the sides of this part fold FORWARD in relation to the printed STAR TREK text and around the optional screen. Apply glue to the two front strips that wrap around and attach to the back side of the main viewer cutout. The white strips that wrap around should not extend beyond the cutout. This photo shows me using one of the optional screens to help locate part 35.

088: The main viewer with part 35 in place viewed from the front.

089: One of the optional screens in place.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 082 Main viewer note fold edge center of black stripe.JPG
    082 Main viewer note fold edge center of black stripe.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 083 Cut notched indent.JPG
    083 Cut notched indent.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 084 Glue slanted top area.JPG
    084 Glue slanted top area.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 085 Glue across top.JPG
    085 Glue across top.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 086 Glue bottom into place.JPG
    086 Glue bottom into place.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 087 Viewer screen in place for optional parts.JPG
    087 Viewer screen in place for optional parts.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 088 Main viewer assembly.JPG
    088 Main viewer assembly.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 089 Optional screen in place.JPG
    089 Optional screen in place.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 4

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- The crew stations, main viewer, and turbolift walls (Now it's beginning to look like a bridge!) Alignment here is very important and I recommend that you CONTINUE to test fit BEFORE gluing.

090: One at a time, glue each of the crew stations, main viewer, and turbolift wall into place, I started with the main viewer as I figured this was the most critical to get EXACTLY right at the bottom (lining up the indented notch of the bottom of the main viewer with the corresponding one on the raised deck. You will notice that the locations of each wall section is clearly defined on outside perimeter of the raised deck. TRY not to get the wall section you are working with NOT to extend past the boundary lines. The various sections must fit really well in their indicated location or you will run out of room for the last section you place.

Apply glue to ONLY the bottom of the station. main viewer, or turbolift wall you are working with and fit into place. ENSURE it fits exactly between the two lines that form the side boundaries on either side. The back edges of the bottom of the wall section should be EXACTLY even with the outside edge of the raised deck. If they do not, you may either run out of room for all of the wall sections or have a gap when fitting the last one. When the wall section is properly in place, all of the white on the floor of the raised deck will be covered. Allow to dry a little bit before continuing so that the alignment is not disturbed.

When gluing the adjacent wall section, be sure to only apply glue to the bottom and push it tightly in towards the previous wall section at the bottom. Be sure to check that the bottom does not overhang the boundary given for it on the raised deck.

091: Then glue up the side between the two wall sections. Be sure that the back side edges are EVEN going up the joint, the tops of the sections are even across them, and that the edges of the crew stations line up with each other. Remember back when gluing the sides to the individual crew stations (photo 059) the narrow spot on the sides were weak? That gets resolved now. TIGHTLY clamp the side joint together and allow to dry a bit before continuing to avoid disturbing the alignment.

092: Front view of the crew station in place.

When you get to the turbolift wall, note that there is no glue joint at the bottom (yet) joining the bottom of the wall with the raised deck. That will be resolved later.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 090 Wall sections glue bottom first.JPG
    090 Wall sections glue bottom first.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 091 then up the side and clamp top.JPG
    091 then up the side and clamp top.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 092 Bottom should not overhang lines or rear edges.JPG
    092 Bottom should not overhang lines or rear edges.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- The station chairs (tedious, sorry).

093 and 094: There is a difference between the front and rear portions of the chair pieces that may not be readily evident once the parts are cut out. I drew a pencil line across the rear portions of the chairs before cutting them out to help with this. I worked on only one chair at a time, cutting out only as I needed a piece.

095: Form the front of the seat back (part 36) and fold up the small tabs.

096: Cut out a chair seat (part 37). I have a small hole punch set and this work MARVELOUSLY to cut out he small white circle. The purpose of this cutout is to help locate the support post on the bottom. Fold between the blue and back portions and glue the black portion onto the tabs of the seat back- make sure the bottom is all the way back onto the tabs. Fold the blue bottom up onto the tabs, effectively sandwiching the tabs in between.

097: Fold over and form the rear of the seat, you can see the pencil line I drew in the first step of this reply.

098: Glue only the center back into position (not the arms) and ensure it is positioned correctly to cover as needed. The arms should be even on both sides. Then glue the arms into place.

099: Cut out the seat padding (part 38), form and glue the front into place over the chair back. Fold over, form, and glue the rear of the padding to the rear of the seat back. You may need to apply additional black edge coloring to the side of the chair where the padding is applied.

100: Page 7 (parts 39) the chair posts are to be printed onto typing paper. Cut out the entire rectangle of the seat post and TIGHTLY roll to form a solid tube with the printing to the OUTSIDE. To do this, I use tweezers to bend the SMALLEST that I can to start the roll. Then I use tweezers to roll and bend over this first bend, keeping it small and as tight as I can across the rectangle. After just a few bends, I can get the roll to continues without needing tweezers and this will help to keep the cross-section round. When the roll is complete, it should be about the diameter of a round toothpick. Continue to roll for a bit to help keep it's shape. Then unroll about 1/8 inch and lightly apply glue across the length and roll again to join.

Cut across the diameter into 10 individual chair post as shown on the parts page. One post has a white and a black portion. Roll eack chair post again to ensure they are round.

You can also wrap a single layer around a round toothpick and glue over it, but you'll have to separate the rectangle into individual chair posts first.

101 and 102: Glue one chair post to the bottom of a chair with the white end away from the chair. Verify the alignment of the post is 90 degrees when viewed from the front/rear and the sides.

103: Allow the chair assemblies to dry completely. You may want to apply a small bead of glue at the post/chair joint to help reinforce it. I also applied a very small drop of glue to the very end of the chair post (white end) to make it slightly rounded and stronger to push it into place (see next reply).

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 093 I marked a line across the rear portions of the chairs.JPG
    093 I marked a line across the rear portions of the chairs.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 094 This helps identify fron and rear of chairs.JPG
    094 This helps identify fron and rear of chairs.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 095 Pre-form the front and fold up the tabs.JPG
    095 Pre-form the front and fold up the tabs.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 096 Glue seat in place.JPG
    096 Glue seat in place.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 097 Glue underside and pre-form the back.JPG
    097 Glue underside and pre-form the back.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 098 Glue back in place ensure arms are even on sides.JPG
    098 Glue back in place ensure arms are even on sides.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 099 Pre-form cushion front and glue into place.JPG
    099 Pre-form cushion front and glue into place.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 101 Glue post in place ensure 90 degrees.JPG
    101 Glue post in place ensure 90 degrees.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 102 Ensure alignment.JPG
    102 Ensure alignment.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 103 All chairs completed.JPG
    103 All chairs completed.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Next- Gluing the chairs into place (almost done!!!)

104 and 105: Use a toothpick or similar and GENTLY push it into the small cuts you made in the 8 small white circles (on the red "X") of the raised deck and the 2 on the command pedestal. You do not want these holes to be oversize, but large enough to give a LITTLE resistance when inserting the chair posts.

106: GENTLY push a chair post into each of the 8 station areas just far enough to cover the white portions of the chair post. Apply a bead of glue to the underside joint around the post/deck joint.

107: Repeat for each of the remaining 7 station chairs.

108: Check the alignment of each station chair that the posts are 90 degrees to the deck and the chair is turned to the center of the station. For the two chairs in the command pedestal, apply a small drop in each hole where the chair post will insert and also a drop to the bottom of the white portion of the chair post. GENTLY insert a chair into place, the bottom of the chair post should bottom out. Check the alignment and allow all of the chairs to dry completely before continuing with the next reply's instructions.

Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• 104 Use a toothpick or similar tool.JPG
    104 Use a toothpick or similar tool.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 5
  • 105 To make chair holes round and NOT oversized.JPG
    105 To make chair holes round and NOT oversized.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 106 place chair in place up to end of black section and THEN glue underside.JPG
    106 place chair in place up to end of black section and THEN glue underside.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 5
  • 107 All chairs in place.JPG
    107 All chairs in place.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 108 Ensure all chairs are aligned properly.JPG
    108 Ensure all chairs are aligned properly.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 5