(TOS) CYLON RAIDER (designed by murphyaa)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Ladies and gentlemen,

After building the viper designed by @Revell-Fan, I remember the Cylon Raider designed by @murphyaa.

When I first printed the templates, I noticed that all of the parts were crammed tightly in the upper left hand and against the left edge of the paper. Therefore, losing some of the parts (or pieces of parts). So, I extracted the parts from the .pdf files into .png files, and centered everything. Here are the new parts sheets.
20200529_220538.jpg

With page 5, I had to re-arrange the parts and even put some on another page.
20200529_220633.jpg

Starting with the internal formers. I laminated the parts (1-5) to about one millimeter.
20200530_111637.jpg

20200530_115319.jpg

20200530_115642.jpg

Moving on the skins now.
20200530_120530.jpg

I attached the formers to the bottom (center) skin.
20200530_121257.jpg

Bottom outer skin.
20200530_124337.jpg

Bottom outer skins are attached.
20200530_124959.jpg

20200530_125034.jpg

Please stay tuned to your local Colonial Broadcast Network for further updates as they come in.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
On to the top skins now.
Here are the side walls for the main body. I laminated them to about one millimeter.
20200531_104947.jpg

The side walls are attached.
20200531_105626.jpg

20200531_105711.jpg

I attached strips along the front and rear edges, so that I can attach the top skins.
20200531_124718.jpg

Here are the top skins.
20200531_131338.jpg

So, I have encountered a bit of a problem. The top skins are too long (about a centimeter).
20200531_131859.jpg

20200531_131926.jpg

20200531_132023.jpg

Since I had extracted these files from .pdf to .png, I am wondering if that may have distorted the parts. So, I am going to take a bit of a break for awhile, then I will see if I can adjust the print settings on the original template, so that I can print the parts (as-is). I might end up printing this at a smaller scale.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I ran into that with my Thunderfighter build, and I think it was printer settings for me. It may be that when you changed format, it changed the shape of some parts.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I ran into that with my Thunderfighter build, and I think it was printer settings for me. It may be that when you changed format, it changed the shape of some parts.
That is very possible indeed. I have reprinted everything (from the original templates) at 95% (so that I do not lose anything). I am going to start the build over (but continue on with this thread).

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I ran into the same problems when I printed the fire engine template with Gimp. Some pages came out smaller than they should even though the resolution and page size were identical to the other pages which were printed correctly. I then imported the strangely rescaled files into Corel and printed them with it instead. They came out fine. I'm starting to believe that it is Windows 10 (64bit) causing the issue since I never had such problems with Win8 and XP. Maybe the Gimp print driver doesn't work flawlessly with Win10. But that's just a guess. Printing straight from the PDF should eliminate the problem.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I ran into the same problems when I printed the fire engine template with Gimp. Some pages came out smaller than they should even though the resolution and page size were identical to the other pages which were printed correctly. I then imported the strangely rescaled files into Corel and printed them with it instead. They came out fine. I'm starting to believe that it is Windows 10 (64bit) causing the issue since I never had such problems with Win8 and XP. Maybe the Gimp print driver doesn't work flawlessly with Win10. But that's just a guess. Printing straight from the PDF should eliminate the problem.
Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I just use Acrobat Reader to view and print .PDFs and Paint or Picture Viewer to print .JPGs other than the "Shrink to fit" issues, I've had no problems from this cheap little Canon TS3100.

ennder

RB, I ran into the same issue several years ago when I tried to build it. I printed full size, direct from the pdf, I thought that maybe I had gotten a bad pdf. But If you have the same problem then I wonder if the top skin is too long, or the bottom is to short :sadno:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
RB, I ran into the same issue several years ago when I tried to build it. I printed full size, direct from the pdf, I thought that maybe I had gotten a bad pdf. But If you have the same problem then I wonder if the top skin is too long, or the bottom is to short :sadno:
Thank you for letting me know. I am glad to hear that someone else has tried their hand at it and had a similar issue. If I may ask: Did you mention this issue to Murphy?

I was able to print everything directly from the original .pfd at 100% (without borders).
Once I catch up to the point where I found the issue, I will continue posting my report on this model.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I had initially done that and that is when I found the problem of the top skin being too long. So, I have reprinted everything again (straight from the original .pdf). If I get the same results this time, I will know that the problem is in fact with the template and not anything that I have done.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I have just been contacted by @murphyaa about this model. He is currently redesigning it and cleaning it up. Once he has finished it, he will send the new templates to me, and I will continue with this thread with photos of the build with the new parts. Until then, this thread is on hold.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Murphy does great panel lines, this makes great spots for potential greebling, which this model needs desperately. It's really kind of a "place your greeble here", that's not a bad thing either. :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Murphy does great panel lines, this makes great spots for potential greebling, which this model needs desperately. It's really kind of a "place your greeble here", that's not a bad thing either. :)
Too right you are. his line work does indeed look really good. The model as a whole, has a tremendous amount of greebling potential. Which of course, I am really looking forward to seeing how the new template turns out.