Titanic model on eBay - hurry!

lairdre

Taschen Book

I also have a copy of the Titanic book. It has been on my shelf since 1993. I have just never had the heart to cut it up. I consider it a nice piece of art work.

Bengt F

Taschen Titanic Model Book

I agree, Ron,

I was just going through my copy a moment ago. It is a beatiful piece of work. If you happen to have a scanner, you could scan all the pages - this also gives you the possibility to adjust some colors, for example the funnels or the decks. My scanner is rather small, though (letter size), so I would have to scan each page twice.

Btw, this model is big enough to have lighting installed on the inside, for a realistic night-time effect. The inside would then have to be covered with black paper to avoid 'light spill' outside of the port holes and windows.

All the best,
Bengt :smile:

Here, by the way, is Peter Davies-Garner´s 18 feet 1:48 scale wooden model being delivered for the Titanic Exhibition in Orlando, Florida, in 2001 - it took him two and a half years to complete. Some model:

Finaldelivery.jpg

lairdre

TASCHEN Titanic

Bengt,
You bring up a good point. The book in almost 15 years old. It might be a good idea to scan it just to preserve it. I just looked at it and I don't notice any yellowing of the pages, but it will not last forever. I have many uncut paper model books and I haven't scanned any of them, but this is rather unique and becomming rare.

NYC Irish

New

Im looking forwrd to the new Gomix Titanic,

GPM - modele kartonowe

At 1:200 and full hull ( I believe), laser cut railings and hopefully as good or better printing statndards that the Kursk I am building its bound to be a class act.

John John

Bengt F

Gomix Fly Model Titanic 1:200 Scale

John John,

That is indeed good news. A full hull - at 1:200 scale? That is just as big as the Taschen book model - 1.38 meters in length! And with photo-etched railings, just like the plastic models . . . Wow!
I guess it would look something like the Betexa 1:450 scale model, only considerably larger:
Link to Betexa ZS in the Czech Republic: Betexa ZS s.r.o.

TitanicBetexa.cz135scalefullhull.gif
Wilh.havenerModellTitanic1250scale.jpg

The best and most detailed Titanic card model so far I believe is the one from Wilelmshavener Modellbaubogen, at 1:250 scale (above), although it is a waterline model (like the one from JSC, at 1:400 scale). It is therefore slightly smaller than the Taschen and new Gomix/Fly Model kits.
The currently largest and most accurate, complete, plastic model kit, by the way, is the Minicraft 'Museum' Kit at 1:350 scale, which also has photo-etched brass railings.

I, too, look forward to this new big model - it would be nice with a full hull model in 1:200 scale.
Just think if the many detailing possibilities at that scale - it could take years to complete . . .

Thanks a million for the tip!
Best,
Bengt :wave:

Bengt F

Gomix "RMS Titanic" 1:200 Scale Model

John John,

I just couldn´t help myself. I went and ordered a copy of the new Titanic model from GPM. They have a discount on this model at the moment.

It would be nice to build this model with fiber-optic lighting - I will have a look at it when it arrives and decide then. There are hundreds of portholes and windows, so it is a major undertaking. I hope the colors of the decks, funnels, hull, etc are resonably correct - we´ll see.

Thanks again for the tip,

GT5500

I have two copies of this book, I put one on ebay and linked it from the forum and didn't get so much as one bid wall1 wasn't expecting that at all.

dansls1

I have two copies of this book, I put one on ebay and linked it from the forum and didn't get so much as one bid wall1 wasn't expecting that at all.

I have to say that because of that ignorant movie, the Titanic would be the absolute last card model I would build by choice - but that's just me ;)

Bengt F

A Night to Remember

dansls1,

If you didn´t like James Cameron´s romantic story, I can recommend this one instead, which is far more accurate as far as the factual events are concerned: http://www.amazon.com/Night-Remembe...9-8495125?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190807155&sr=8-1

It is based on the excellent and intriguing book with the same name, by the late Titanic historian Walter Lord.

The ship 'Californian', which was close by and clearly saw the Titanic´s distress rockets but failed to come to assistance because of the ignorance of it´s captain, is portrayed in this movie. In the Cameron movie, it isn´t mentioned at all.
However, the fact that Titanic broke it´s back just before sinking (something that was reported by many eyewitnesses and survivors) is not shown in this black & white movie from 1958, as this fact was not confirmed until 1985, when Robert Ballard found the wreck in two pieces.

I am sure you will like this film better.
All the best,

dansls1

Thanks for the recommendation. Part of my dislike of the Titanic movie was that it was about an hour of potentially interesting history and review of the wreckage mixed with 2 hours of bad love story. The main problem being I had watched the 2 or 3 hour documentary of when they made the footage of the wreckage so that part of it was repetitive.
I guess ultimately my interest in the Titanic was passing as is, and the movie just took that passing interest and turned it into tremendous disinterest.

Bengt F

New Gomix Titanic Model Arrived Today!

Hi all (and especially John John),

I just wanted to share my excitement with you over the fact that the big new Gomix-Fly Model RMS Titanic 1:200 model arrived in the mail today.
I can assure you, it will be a MAJOR undertaking to build her - ALL the tiny details are there! The Benedikt Taschen 1:200 model (the book mentioned in this thread) is aa amazing model in it´s own right, but this is quite another ball game! Halinski quality, if you know what I mean . . .

And it is indeed an impressive full-hull model, 138.5 centmeters in length, beautifully created in full color by Polish card model designer Ryszard Bones. The print quality and detail resolution is absolutely excellent on all the 35 big (double Letter-sized) pages, which measure roughly 300x420 mm. I have not detected any mis-matching of the colors vs. the contours thus far.

So, number one on my wish list now, for this project alone, is an A3+ size hi-res flat bed scanner. I would like to be able to duplicate some parts (especially the tiny ones) and I would also like to slightly adjust some of the print colors, especially the deck color (which is much too dark brown), the light 'White Star Buff' yellow-tan color of the lower part of the funnels (which are a flaming dark orange) and the bottom part of the hull, below the waterline (which is a little bit too bright and pink for my taste.
Is there anybody who could recommend me a really good A3 scanner? I hope Epson makes one, because I am so pleased with the quality of my present A4+ scanner/printer (the DX 4850) and my R1800 Stylus Photo printer. I would like to hear if someone has experience from a larger machine?

This huge model will take a lot of planning and material testing, before the first definitive cuts are made. In the best of worlds, I would like to leave the printed pages as they are, but scanning ALL the 35 plates in hi-res (1200 dpi) would almost need a separate hard drive of their own.
Incidently, there are no dedicated laser-cut railings for this new card model. Not just yet, anyway. However, 'Gold Medal Models' makes 1:192 scale photo-etched brass railings for the Titanic and Lusitania plastic models, and that might fit just fine with some minor modifications in length. I will also of course need lots of very thin, black, wires or monofilament lines for the intricate rigging and fine chains for the anchors (if I don´t manufacture them from paper, of course).

The instructions, by the way, are in Polish but the 3-D illustrations are so wonderfully clear and explanatory, that there shouldn´t be a problem.
I will post some cropped pictures of some of the printed parts in a couple of days, to show you what color adjustments I am planning.

Somehow I almost feel it´s Christmas Eve today . . .

All the best,
Bengt :thumb:

NYC Irish

Bengt We want scans and pictures immediately...immediately if not sooner....

Did you get the laser cut rails?

How much was shipping?

I have a Polish Co Worker going home for afew days and I am giving him a shopping list for me.

By the way... I was in FL last year and visited a... museum/attraction "Titanic: The Experience" in Orlando, it didnt have artifacts or the guiant hull plate they raised but I did enjoy it, but more importantly I thougt that it was the place with the giant titanic Model...I didnt see it...was it on loan or was it at a different exhibition????

Thanks
john john

Bengt F

Gomix - Fly Model RMS Titanic Model

Hi Jasco,

The total sum for the model was 125 Zloty, with a shipping cost to me in Sweden of 140 Zloty (the large model is quite heavy).
I also ordered the new MODELIK version of the Fokker Dr.I 425/17 triplane (the one with the Balken Kreutzes) in the same package, which cost 15 Zloty, so the grand total in Zlotys was 222,00.

It is definitely worth the price.

All the best,

Bengt F

The Colors of The New Gomix/Fly Model 1:200 Scale Titanic

Hi all (and John John, of course),

Thanks a million, John John, for the A3 scanner link and recommendation - I will follow it up very soon!

Here are some cropped parts from the new Gomix/Fly Model 1:200 scale RMS Titanic.
The first ones are what they look like when I scan and adjust them to look as close as the original plates as possible (with my screen and room lighting).
The second ones and the halves of the pictures with the white crosses is how I feel it should look. These rather quick, pre-visualized alterations are based on pictures and contemporary research by the TRMA (the Titanic Research & Modeling Association, web page: http://titanic-model.com/articles/p...PAGE_Paint Reference Main Page.htm#hull black).
The print with the side view of the liner is by Robert Hahn of Germany. The model photos of the bridge and fwd well deck and boat deck are taken by model builder Peter Davies-Garner and shows the coloring of his spectacular 18' RMS Titanic model:

From the top and down:
1. The funnels and the 'White Star Line Buff' problem - a lot of research and speculation has gone into this color and several versions exist, ranging from 'peachy' nuances to 'pale mustard' yellows. For the correct 'Buff' color, all we have from the White Star Line today, is a color photo from the 50s. I suggest the second one:

GOMIX-White-Star-Buff.jpg
GOMIX-White-Star-Buff-BF.jpg

2. The pine deck color. With the exception of the forcastle ('forc'sul'), the fwd and aft well decks and the poop deck (below), which were slightly darker, the boat deck and all the other decks were made of very light pinewood, with darker brown/red edges of the more expensive teak around all the deckhouses -

GOMIX-poop-deck.jpg

- so, as a kind 'in-between' first-hand coloring experiment, I suggest this second one. One would also have to do something about the contrast and the darker planks, which become more obvious as the decks lighten up. The edges will furthermore have to be darkened, to look like teak:

GOMIX-poop-deck-BF.jpg

3. The dark, gray-black, hull plating color and the bright and saturated 'Yellow Chromate' stripe, which separates the dark hull from the upper white-painted areas. I suggest the coloring to the left (with the white X), also with a slightly more neutral, less blue hull:

GOMIX-upper-hull--stripe.jpg

4. The lower, rust-red, Harland & Wolff-standard, so called 'Red Lead' antifouling hull paint (below the water-line) - resembles the 'Rust-Oleum' hardware store-paint color (in the US).
My suggestion here (marked with a white X) is actually still far too red - it should be a more 'rusted' and darker shade of brown-red:

GOMIX-lower-hull-color.jpg

Compare this color to the plate below (by Titanic-researcher Robert Hahn), or, if you have access to a DVD-copy of James Cameron´s movie "Titanic" - check the close-up scenes of the water-line, when the ship is leaving Southhampton harbor:

Robert-Hahn-print.jpg

All in all, I guess I have to buy myself a larger scanner (A3+), because there are so many (and wide) parts that I think need color-adjusting on the new GOMIX model. By the way, there ARE instructions in English (and several other languages) - I just hadn´t seen all the pages. And, no, John John, I haven´t ordered any photo-etched railings yet. I have to get a lot more info before I do.
I would, naturally, be more than happy to hear all your views on my humble suggestions.
With these slight alterations, I still consider the new GOMIX/Fly Model RMS Titanic to be a remarkable designing achievement, moreover, with a very modest price, considering what you get.

All the best,

Bengt F

Boat Deck and Fwd Well Deck Comparison Photos

Hi all,

Here are the two comparison photos for the boat deck pinewood color. They are taken by model designer and builder Peter Davies-Garnes and shows his 18 foot Titanic model:

The boat deck (in broad daylight):
PeterDavies-Garner18Titanicmodel.jpg

The bridge, part of the boat deck and forward well deck (with part of the forward funnel showing the 'White Star Line Buff' color) The photo is taken in the model workshop in Germany:
Bridge-and-well-deck.jpg

All the best,
Bengt :thumb: