Tiger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichBohlman

Railroad Card Modaler
Feb 7, 2004
Mississippi, USA
Building the Tiger 1 from AH. Anyone else on this forum ever built this model? I have the instruction in English. If anyone needs a copy just e-mail me your request.

J

Jim Nunn

Rich,

I have built the Tiger it has its rough spots around the turret but over all a very good model. You will need to reinforce the suspensions arms otherwise the suspension will collapse under the weight of the model.

Jim Nunn

RichBohlman

Railroad Card Modaler
Feb 7, 2004
Mississippi, USA
Jim Nunn said:
Rich,

I have built the Tiger it has its rough spots around the turret but over all a very good model. You will need to reinforce the suspensions arms otherwise the suspension will collapse under the weight of the model.

Jim Nunn

Thanks for the information. I'm working at present on the inside hull details. What did you use to reinforce the suspension arms? I posted a picture of my model in my online album yesterday showning where I am right now in the building of the inside hull areas.

Thanks again!

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Suspension reinforcement

Jim has documented his techniques for reinforcing the suspension on his
Halinski Panther in the Cardmodelers Ezine in August and October 2003.
I'd guess the Tiger is similar - the torsion bar/overlapping roadwheel suspension design was almost a standard in later German WW2 tanks.

Go to the latest ezine at www.cardmodelers.org - at the bottom of the page are links to previous issues.

I believe you'll agree that Jim is setting the standard for AFV papermodels - wish mine were a fraction as good.

Regards,

Charlie

J

Jim Nunn

To be honest I did not reinforce the suspension system on the Tiger and from day one the suspension collapsed, as they say we learn from our mistakes. When I display the model it sits on a card stock base that supports the hull and keeps the weight off of the suspension. In one of my articles I showed a photo of the collapsed Tiger. This is why I went to the trouble of reworking the Panther so it would not have this problem and it was worth the effort the Panther is very strong and has not had any problems.

The Tiger would be easer to rework then the panther in that you already have holes in the hull side to accommodate the small tube from the suspension arms. Take a look at the article and feel free to ask any questions, I don’t necessarily have the best answers so if any one else has some suggestions please jump in.

This brings up another observation, the Tiger was built using 1mm card stock that was purchased from a printing supply company and the stock had a tendency to literary fall apart by this I mean that it would delaminate. So now I make my own .5 and 1 mm card stock. When I finish the model I am now working on I’ll revisit the tiger and rebuild the suspension system using the same techniques I used on the Panther.

J

Jim Nunn

Rich,

I just took a look at your Tiger, Great job, and nice work.

Jim

RichBohlman

Railroad Card Modaler
Feb 7, 2004
Mississippi, USA
Much Thanks! I printed a copy of that article and it will be of great help when I get to that part of the Tiger. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.

pashlispaht

Sep 5, 2004
USA
Tiger model

I have some experience with this model. I found a way to stiffen the suspension arms, and I have not seen any other mentions of this technique. I drilled holes through the hull into the bearing blocks for the torsion bars, and I ran a piece of brass rod through the hull and the hollow torsion bar. In effect I made my own torsion bars. I bent the end sticking out of the hull and built the external suspension around it. Worked pretty well, but I set the model aside when I got to the treads... On a different topic; does anyone know of any Soviet armor kits from the Cold War? I have looked everywhere, but there does not seem to be any models of Soviet tanks from after the Second World War.

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Maly Modelarz produced kits of the IS-3, T-54 and T-72 in the past. You can find these on eBay - they seem to turn up pretty regularly. However Maly kits of this vintage usually aren't good compared to modern kits.

I don't think there are any current kits from the major publishers of Cold War Soviet tanks. I think I'd buy a reasonable IS-7 kit - just because the subject is so unusual.

Regards,

Charlie

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
A bit more information ....

There are a few "in print" kits of post-WW2 Soviet armour - Answer - PT-76, Quest - 2S1 SPG, Fly Model - ZSU-23. I'd be concerned about the Quest kit - after their T-70 (see "First Impressions" review). I think Maly might have done a PT-76 as well.

That's a nice technique for reinforcing the suspension on the Tiger. The brass rod would certainly distribute the weight of the model so the hull sides don't bend inwards and/or the swing arms don't twist off.

Regards,

Charlie

pashlispaht

Sep 5, 2004
USA
It also keeps the torsion bars from warping. I did not even think about the strength benefits when I did it. I had this crazy idea about modifying the suspension and road wheels so they would actually function. All the wheels on my model turn, but I made a mistake with the torsion bars. I should have put a 90 degree bend in the end to anchor them into the hull before I covered the outside. But I did not think of it until too late. Otherwise I could have had a functional torsion suspension. Maybe someday I will build another one with this feature... Concerning the USSR armor; I am interested in the T-62, T-64, T-72 and the T-80. I do not know what is available, but I have not seen any of the above listed subjects in kit form.

RichBohlman

Railroad Card Modaler
Feb 7, 2004
Mississippi, USA
RichBohlman said:
Building the Tiger 1 from AH. Anyone else on this forum ever built this model? I have the instruction in English. If anyone needs a copy just e-mail me your request.

Computer Crash! Anyone have the file of these directions for the Tiger 1?

Thanks - Rich

pashlispaht

Sep 5, 2004
USA
I do not have the file, but I have the paper originals that PMI sent with the kit when I ordered it. I can scan that and send it to you.

R

rickstef

if you want, after you scan it, upload it to the parts bin, that way everyone can share in the resource

let me know when you have it uploaded so i can approve the file

Rick

R

rickstef

Rich,

I have to sleep sometime, by the time you read this, the file will have been approved

[EDIT] ummmmmm, someone said they uploaded a file? none there, if you want, attach the file to a private message to me, and I will upload the file.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.