Tie Raptor

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
HHmmm not sure how to say it but I think Im doing to many projects now. But I like to be busy when I have a spare moment.
And the Tie models are sometimes a welcome break. So as promised Im designing a Tie Raptor.
Here are the first results ready to be printed and to be alpha build. As you can see Im working with a new sphere construction.
And the wings will be 2 mm thick!!! Thats what I call a layerd wing.

Raptor test prnt 2023 06 04.jpg
Have fun dreaming of this model
Afcource first finishing the slave and the bomber instructions.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I started cutting the sphere take a look how it looks like after glueing.
20230730_150106.jpg20230730_150120.jpg
I like the shape of this sphere a lot its a good rounded. It is even looking better then the Uhu sphere I have build. Maybe I have to update some templates. I have also cut the parts for the first wing and glued them together. I will show them tomorow when the glue has dryed.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
That is a GREAT looking sphere! I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thank you,
I have to tune it a bit the holes for the hatch, window, engine and bottom plate are way to big a have to make them smaller.
I test fitted the UHU interior and it fits like a glove. Still lot of work todo.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I was not completely happy with the Shunichi sphere on some points the dimensions are incorrect in my opinion.
So I went back to the drawing board and looked at the templates of the sphere's designed by Shunichi's and UHU.
The conclusion in made up is to design a sphere that's a combination between the sphere designed by Shunichi's and UHU.
Below you can see the template for the new sphere.
sphere mijob.jpg
And this is how the sphere looks like.
Shere_01.jpgShere_02.jpgShere_03.jpgShere_04.jpg
Yep I'm a happy person now I have finaly found a good sphere.

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
This looks great! I’ve always wanted to build a Tie. The spherical cockpit seemed like a fun challenge.

Reactions: mijob

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
This looks great! I’ve always wanted to build a Tie. The spherical cockpit seemed like a fun challenge.
Thank you, the short answer is that it is not that diffivult to build a sphere if you preform it you are almost there and take your time to glue it together.
I know there are two good sphere design's Shunichi's and UHU. But For me the UHU is the most difficult to build. I have seen models that are looking great with the UHU sphere but mine looked like a pumkim. Then the Shunichi sphere is easier to build and it is a sphere. But when I checked the dimesions some parts of it are wrong. That why I update the template and combined the both templates. The results you can see in my previous post. Today I will build another test sphere to test the fitting of the engine, window top and bottom hatch.