Tie Fighter wings for UHU sphere

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Hello all,

I want to make different Tie starship's with the same sphere.
In this case I want to use the sphere from UHU.
I like UHU style because of the fine details and all of the breebies.

The first one I want to build is the TIE fighter.
So the biggest challenge I gone have is to create a pair off wing in UHU interceptor style.
Also this is a good way for me to work with sketchup.

The first thing I did was to find the right dimensions for the wing in combination with the sphere.
There are different dimensions on the internet about the real size off the TIE Fighter.
I will work with: Length 7,2 meters, Width 6,7 meters and height 8,8 meters.

If I check the scale size of the UHU interceptor it's 1:72
So my TIE Fighter will be 10 cm x 9,3 cm x 12,2 cm.

First I will make 2 base panels for the wing. Then I make 2 solar panels and I will finish with the solar suport frame.
This is the same build up like the wings done by Shunichi Makino.
I don't use these wing's because off the dimensions and there are not a lot off greebies on it.
Biggest challenges for me is to get the solar collectors setup right in sketch up.

If this is done it's time to make detaild greebies.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm looking forward to your project! :)

I may have read that the ratio between cockpit ball and wings on the original TIE was 1:3.5, meaning the wing height should be 3.5 times the height of the cockpit sphere. Hasbro hasn't mastered that ratio yet, unfortunately. I think at the moment of this post the finest toy rendition is the Solo TIE but the wings are too small. The TVC TIE's wings are definitely too big. Something in the middle of these two should be perfect. A new set of accurately sized wings for the Solo TIE is on my list, BTW. Maybe we could join forces since you are going to develop the main parts (I would only have to adapt the mount to make it work with the toy). ;)

If I check the scale size of the UHU interceptor it's 1:72
When I made my Shunichi TIE conversion I solely trusted the dimensions of the 1/144 scale TIE from Bandai. Since both TIEs are in the same scale range I thought it would be more in the 1/56ish scale. UHU's Interceptor is longer than the 1/72 Bandai so it is definitely larger.

Here is a very useful list of scales, including the Bandai models:

Please correct me if I am wrong.

FYI: One word of caution regarding UHU02's TIE Interceptor files: I opened them with InkScape to resize the cockpit interior parts. InkScape missed to open two layers and the imported graphics were incomplete; details and shadows were missing. I noticed that too late and used that misprint as a spare part / mockup. I ended up by turning the pages into *.pngs using PDFill.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Thank's Revell,

I would like to join forces.
Biggest problem for me is to get the solar collector correct. I think I gone import a good picture off it.

For the scale size off the UHU interceptor if I look at your link and check the Badai 1:72 interceptor the lenght of this model is almost the same as
the UHU. If you check this site (afcourse translate) http://www.papirovemodelarstvi.cz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5981
Also a discusion about the scale size off UHU interceptor and it is roughly the same as i estimated.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
thumbsup

OK! :)

As for the texture, here are some closeups of the coolshade material used on the original:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
For the scale size off the UHU interceptor if I look at your link and check the Badai 1:72 interceptor the lenght of this model is almost the same as
the UHU. If you check this site (afcourse translate) http://www.papirovemodelarstvi.cz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5981
Also a discusion about the scale size off UHU interceptor and it is roughly the same as i estimated.

Hi Mijob

I did quite some research on tie fighter and I am working on a 3d model to be paper model. This is comparison with original.
comp1.jpg

And I am the one discucing the scale in your link to papirovemodelarstvi.

So be aware that If you choose to use Bandai dimensions/scales (= length of fullscale tie fighter to be cca 7,3m) then UHUs tie interceptor wings and hull ball are not in the same scale. Wing are cca 1:70 and ball is cca 1:60.

In the background you can see scale variant test and comparison I did to figure out what scale I like the best. I finaly came to length cca 7,3m, same as Bandai but different from official Disny measurements.
tie 1b.jpg

So if you coose Bandai scale too, as it seems you did, use their model as a reference. Their model is realy close to the original, as you can see on this comparison with my model based on the known measurements of the original:
bandaicomp.jpg

Here is my WIP model of the cokcpit compared to original
int6.jpg

and I even started to model some details from kitscans, so If you have some questions, I am able to answer, feel free to ask .
ss3.jpg

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Hello Bigpetr,

That looks very good. I whised I could draw in 3D :bowdown:. Who knows over several years....
So how big is the sphere of the bandai Tie fighter kit?
Other wise I have to make new calculations.
When I did the calculations from UHU Tie interceptor back to the orginal size it nearly matched.
Looking forward to see your project progress.

So now there are 3 separate TIE Fighter project.. NICE!!!!! thumbsup

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
TIE Fighter overload!

9e91c0d37bbcf84fbdf1bf9280ec18d2a8e334ad3bcc6184b0bc974b5c8f24b8.jpg

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
After a couple of lessons sketchup i finaly (4th attempt) have a first drawing of the solar panels from the TIE fighter.
Dimensions 12,2 cm high and 10 cm width
Tie fighter_02.jpg
I tryed different colors for the solar plates but I think nr. 6 looks the best.
Please feel free to give your opinion.

How will the wing finaly look.
I will use a base panel, followed with the solar panel. Then I will instal the solar support frame.
And finaly the arms and the centre piece with the greebies.

Looking forward to your remarks

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I have to say that you are off to a great start on this project! You have made very good progress. I would have to agree. I too like Nr. 6. It looks more "realistic" to what solar panels look like on a vehicle like that. I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Thank you all for your kind words. thumbsup
Love to see that I'm close to your wing. Thank's for sharing this picture
Indeed there are difrent dimensions off the TIE fighter on the internet.
I used the measerments from the TIE fighter owners manual and those are almost the same as the Bandai.
So I will keep these wing's en see how they come out

Last edited:

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Good evening all,
Tonight we will have a storm comming to our country (Francis).

And here I have an update on my TIE fighter wing

This is the base panel
01.JPG

The solar collector will be fitted on the base panel
02.JPG

The solar support panel will be fitted on the solar collector base panel.
I have to remove some parts to see the solar collector.
03.JPG

And finaly the support arms will be fitted.
The collors of the arms are Metal_Aluminum_Anodized
04.JPG

If I build the wing like this I will get a layerd wing.
Now i'm working on the parts of the energy hub.