"Thunderbirds" Tracy Island

Marco Scheloske

Don't forget to scan it, and build the scan. No need in destroying a possible "collector" book.

Well, since shipping is free when ordering that book I will eventual do what I did with the papermodel of the Unseen University from Discworld: Should I really like it I will simply buy a second copy for my archive, and build the other one.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I do this when I get models out of print. If it's still available, then go for it! :)

Gummitale

Well...
I've had to deal with a VERY tight budget these past few months, but...
I finally got around to ordering my own copy!
About time...considering that I started this entire thread! :)
I don't have a digital camera, so...
Marco, when your copy arrives, and you get around to building, please provide a photo record for us!

Marco Scheloske

Got mine today!

aa7a1fce3b1749a3b4b5e0f61c5aea32_zpsqthiwvtj.jpg

181c19bae71ea346369ce2def4da22b0_zpssi7l4pzo.jpg

Marco Scheloske

Of course everything is only printed in Japanese... which let it be more or less a picturebook for me.

The model itself is printed onto the last 20 pages. The parts are very sharp and in vivid colors. The paper is semigloss, which is great for the ships and buildings, but not so nice for the natural elements like the trees and rocks. I will try to cover those with a dullcoat later.

da8ae775a918268ae8a70cc010950fe8_zpsxtjxrajq.jpg

791743f69e904aa2ea19799843f35124_zpsxis05r0x.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder how long or if this will ever be pirated. It certainly is a complete diorama!! :)

Marco Scheloske

Very complete, indeed! By the way, the base measures approx. 58 x 40 cm, the final height will be approx. 22cm.

I can not say how many parts the model contains, because the numbering is divided into a lot of small groups (each vessel, each building has its own numbering). But as an educated guess I would say there are several hundred parts in total. This is not an easy model!

Marco Scheloske

Interesting... I just used Google Translator to translate parts of the instructions (very crude, but nevertheless helpful), and the introduction says you should eiher scan or fotocopy the model kit parts to be able to create spareparts when an error should occur during the buildup. I never read sich an advice in the instructions of a commercial model kit.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, in a way you are officially invited to build several Island models..! ;)

Gummitale

Got my copy today, Aug 26. Looks great, but I learned the meaning of 'snail mail' while waiting for it -- Two days to cross the Pacific/America, and then six days to get from NYC to my Hudson Valley home, by way of Albany (the state capitol, 90 miles north) and Newburgh (across the Hudson River). Apparently, these are where the major postal sorting facilities are for international mail. Anyway, Marco's previous pictures have already covered what the book looks like. The first half is indeed a picture book of sorts, covering all things "Thunderbirds" -- characters, machines, episodes, and yes, Tracy Island itself, and there's even a pair of pages devoted to the new CGI "Thunderbirds Are Go!" TV series now airing overseas. The back half of the book is devoted to the paper model and its instructions - all in Japanese, of course, but for devotees of the series, they shouldn't be too hard to follow. For us Yanks, the book measures some 8-and-a-half by just under 12-inches, and it's about a half-inch thick. Marco, good luck with your construction thread! I'll look forward to seeing it.