Thinking about a secondary project

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Hey all:wave:
My first layout, the Riverside Railroad, is still covered in pink insulation foam, so it has a LONG way to go:rolleyes::mrgreen: However, I'm starting to think of how to create ANOTHER layout, this time for the Interstate Railroad (the one with the orange RS-3's), which had an unique way of making coal trains profitable. My first thought would have been to simply make the new layout an extension of the RRR after that was finished, but then there's the situation about eras and locations: the RRR is set in a modern day small town in Ohio, while the Interstate prototype was located in SW Va., plus in 1965 all ten of the Interstate RS-3's were replaced by the Southern RR, who had bought the Interstate. Have any of you guys had a problem like this? Here's a link to the most informative site about the Interstate I could find:
History/ReferenceMaterial

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I've got three layouts I'm currently working on and ideas for dozens more in my head. So long as you actually make progress on them as time goes by what's wrong with having a couple irons in the fire?

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Further to what railohio said... You mean you're only going to have two projects going at the same time...?!? ;) :D sign1

Andrew

sign1You're right, I SHOULD have said two LAYOUTS under construction at the same timesign1, I've already got 5 structure projects (3 built but need improving, two still in 'kit' form"), one car kit mid-way, another car kit totaly unbuilt (and pending the aquisation of a Kadee spring holder for the trucks-you have to put coupler springs in the trucks:eek:), and then the ongoing project of updating all the couplers into knuckle couplers:eek:. At least today I got some Optivisors for those really tiny details:mrgreen:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I have 2 projects I,m working on right now.
A "big" layout 25" X 36" ( yes, inches not feet ) and a smaller switching micro layout 11" X 23 "

Jacques

roadsculpt.jpg

Switch2.jpg

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think you will need 2 separate layouts. If you were modeling the same railroad in different eras, you could do it on the same layout by making interchangeable structures and replacing details to back date or update the era. Your problem here is that your modern small town in Ohio is probably on fairly flat land, while West Virgina coal country is known for being mountainous. The mountains are small compared to Western mountains, but still definitely more mountainous than Ohio.