The old 32 to 40 foot wood and steel reefers

toptrain1

I have a few more reefers to post. They are Accurail reefers and can in no way be considered Vintage. They are old in type but not age. I was told they were undecorated and finished by a now no longer among us very good person. A person I have not met but was told about, and a pleasant tale it was. Here you will see the fruit of his labors.
frank

Well for some reason the photo download is not allowing me to remove a double first photo, maybe a moderator can do this.

IMG_1602 - Copy.JPGIMG_1602 - Copy.JPGIMG_1603 - Copy.JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice. All those houses in the backround, and no two alike, and all very quaint, quite excellent!! Reminds me of Georgetown Ct., where I lived once. The Norwalk to Danbury line ran up past my house, and it was lined with houses like these, for many pats, it still is! :)

toptrain1

I found a few old Vintage HO cars, all are mostly metal boxcars, at the Golden Nugget flea market last Sunday 5-2-21. Here is a Western Pacific Feather boxcar. All metal except for a wood floor. The car is in excellent condition for being produced in the earls 1950's.
frank

IMG_1688 - Copy.JPG

toptrain1

Now I saw a few other cars I wanted I wanted to get, so returned the following Saturday 5-8-21, and got a few more. Again this GAEX boxcar is made by the same company Athearn as the WP Feather boxcar. It is also an excellently preserved piece of HO history.
frank

IMG_1710 - Copy.JPG

toptrain1

Another car I found at the same flea market is this New York Central, Merchant Dispash reefer. It again is a metal car from the 50-60 periods made by Varney. This car is how I found it. I haven't cleaned it up yet. This car shows its age and tells of time spent out in the open on a shelf or on a layout. I guess it wasn't much of a favorite because of all the dust it has collected on its roof. The white painted sides show a natural patina that only time can give.
frank

IMG_1711 - Copy.JPG

toptrain1

This car you can partially see to the right of the MYC MDT refer in the last post. It is another find from 5-8-21. all were photoed together.

Here is a North Carolina and Saint Louis railroad boxcar To and From Dixieland Route.

This a Varney boxcar of all-metal construction made in that same Vintage 1950-1960 era. It has some dust on its roof also.
frank

IMG_1710 - Copy (2).JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
On the metal car, you know someone somewhere has those stamping dies, just sitting there, lonely in some box, hoping to be used again. They probably will be lost to time.

I saw a guy ready to throw out 19th century half ship models used for designing ships. He had no idea what they were. I was going to let him throw them away, but they still had the writing on them, they were so valuable. When I explained that this, he shook my hand and said it was time to research what his GRANDFATHER had given him. What a maroon!! There are a few of these on EBAy going for thousands of dollars. I have a conscious, that's why I didn't take them. :)

Half Models.jpg