The Lost U-Boot

Xavier

Master of Reality Modeling
WOW! That is excellent!!

Would like to see some pics of the whole thing though ..... ;):)

Thanks Dan. !!

This is a general view of the diorama... but not finished yet.

IMG_20150907_113504.jpg

IMG_20150908_101505.jpg

Thanks for watching. !

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You can put up to 10 Pics per post and as many you want in your thread. I too would like to see more pics, with more shots of the sub, and some words about what and how you did this. This is a tease!! :)

Xavier

You can put up to 10 Pics per post and as many you want in your thread. I too would like to see more pics, with more shots of the sub, and some words about what and how you did this. This is a tease!! :)

Hi. !
So.... the idea for this diorama, is to represent an undefined submarine U-Boot, as if the sea had driven to the coast until it ran aground on the rocks.
First the base

IMG_20150905_120102.jpg

A board of 1000 x 400 (mm)
Apply some putty to define the coastline

IMG_20150905_160904.jpg

Raising the bottom and part of the fall of the cliff

IMG_20150905_162304.jpg

Painting the coastline to highlight and easier to work

IMG_20150906_104235.jpg

Applying insulating foam to give the whole way.

IMG_20150905_200419.jpg

Testing location of U-Boot in the diorama.

Xavier

First primer.

IMG_20150906_154135.jpg

A general primer in gray, and a layer, following the coastline and across the cliff in black

IMG_20150906_154140.jpg

Painting algae

IMG_20150906_160849.jpg

The location of the algae have calculated depending on the height of the cliff (which incidentally is not very high as seen in relation to the submarine)

IMG_20150906_160953.jpg

Some more details

IMG_20150906_162133.jpg

Overview with intermediate work

IMG_20150906_162152.jpg

The location of the submarine I think it will be this ... But it is not yet definitive.

IMG_20150906_172405.jpg

Just add "water"

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Your rock formations is a study of fractal mathematics. Very controlled chaos. A hard thing to do, you make it look easy! Typing appreciation for your diorama is fast becoming past words!. :)

Hello,

the diorama looks great. Did You use a Revell model kit? What scale is Your diorama?
For those who also want to give their models a rusty look:
the model factory "Noch" has a new rust paint to give models an used look.
http://www.noch.com/en/news/2015/08-rust-paint-available.php
It is not only a color, it uses powder with iron and oxidation medium for "real" rust.

The german model magazine "Trainini" made a test in it´s August 2015 issue.
Here You can see some pictures.
http://trainini.de/download/Trainini_2015-08.pdf

The diorama reminds me a little about the u-boat 118 from WW 1 that was washed ashore in Hastings.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-U-boat-washed-beach-WWI-sailed-France.html

Greetings

Markus Schweizer

Xavier

Hello Markus.

You have an hawk-eye !!!

I was inspired by this article for the generic idea of the diorama. At first I thought in a recreation of the image .....

article-2271907-1748E12B000005DC-633_634x407.jpg

But I dismissed it because I thought it would have a lot of criticism for being "very little credible ..."

About the model and scale... is an old Amati model in 1:72

Thanks for watching

Regards

Uyraell

Xavier, your U-Boat diorama reminds me, rather eerily in fact, of the underwater photographs of the U-Boat sunk off the Danish coast and raised some few years ago. The early images were, for the era, very clear and therefore rather haunting to look at.
Your excellent diorama encaptures that precise sense of "haunting-ness" in an extremely authentic manner. The viewer's 'minds'eye' is almost 'drawn through' the hull, picturing there within the mortal remains of the crew, frozen in time as their lives came to an end.

The amount of effort and talented workmanship you demonstrate in your dioramas have me in awe.

I look forward to viewing your next excellent piece, knowing that it too shall show the audience the skills to which they also can aspire.

Kind and Respectful Regards Xavier, Uyraell.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
fanstastic!! always loved those too! think they should be sealed and made into orbiters for the asteroid belt to mars smelting runs!!