The log dump

shamus

Registered Member
Here my version of a log dump, it shows a Donkey Engine unloading the logs. Some used a Jill-poke to get the logs off the cars.

Jill Poke
jillpoke.jpg

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• dump.jpg
    dump.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 315

Bill Nelson

Nice scene!

That's a nice scene You western modelers get to use those big logs, which make things interesting

My log pond doesn't have logs in it yet, got to get those trains rolling now!

Bill Nelson ( logging in Eastern Tennessee on the DG CC & W RR in 1928)

Jim Krause

Great scene Shamus but a bit too compressed for the safety of those guys on the logs. When that other end of the big log drops they will be flying through the air.

Bill Nelson

Shamus will be missed! The man was prolific, we will all have to step up in our modeling , and sharing to help fill the void in this fourm.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Loggs for the Dump!

I am getting ready to put logs on the log pond of one or both of my log ponds see logging in eastern Tn on the DG CC and W RR, but I thought I'd post this parting note in this thread, so someone interested in a log dump could find the subject, which is likely buried under all the other ***** I have posted

In the picture are some crepe myrtle logs harvested from the flower bed. My wife planted these bushes for the flowers. they have to be cut down to the ground every winter or they get tree sized. If they grow two seasons, the cool bark detail peels off, so letting them go two years to get O scale logs wont work.

These I cut in half on the table saw, (watch your fongers, and the rest of your bodily appendages as well, this stuff is stout and springy, doesn't want to be cut, and tries it's best to take you with it.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SMLlgsfrpnd.jpg
    SMLlgsfrpnd.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 9

Bill Nelson

No, but I had long pieces of wood, and only cut the far end, a way long way from my fingers. I have one fingertip that has had multiple injuries to it from auto mechanic work, and from wood working, on the job, on the farm, and hobby work- the first finger on my left hand seems to take the hit on the far side of the thumb, about a quarter inch down. I've got scar tissue on top of scar tissue on top of scar tissue. I still have feeling in that fingertip, bur it is somewhat confused. I have taught myself to only look at that table saw blade. I don't look at the work piece, I got plenty of wood! If I can't see the saw blade cause my hands in the way, then my hand is way too close, and it is time to try doing it a different way.

Bill Nelson

Mountain Man

Here my version of a log dump, it shows a Donkey Engine unloading the logs. Some used a Jill-poke to get the logs off the cars.

Jill Poke
jillpoke.jpg

Shamus
wink.gif

It appears that the two on the logs in the pond will shortly be rising rapidly upwards in the company! I'd say...oh...twenty to thrity feet.

Mountain Man

No, but I had long pieces of wood, and only cut the far end, a way long way from my fingers. I have one fingertip that has had multiple injuries to it from auto mechanic work, and from wood working, on the job, on the farm, and hobby work- the first finger on my left hand seems to take the hit on the far side of the thumb, about a quarter inch down. I've got scar tissue on top of scar tissue on top of scar tissue. I still have feeling in that fingertip, bur it is somewhat confused. I have taught myself to only look at that table saw blade. I don't look at the work piece, I got plenty of wood! If I can't see the saw blade cause my hands in the way, then my hand is way too close, and it is time to try doing it a different way.

Bill Nelson

That's what dowel cutting jigs are for - to split things safely. The longer your branch is, the more likely you are to have an accident. But hey...it's your hands. wall1