The Exploding Airbrush....

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Hey, I just recently had to take apart my airbrush to remove an old needle with a bent point. The problem i'm having is that the airbrush will not function right. I'm not sure of the make, but it won't work (regardless of where the needle is positioned) unless i continually loosen the end of the airbrush. the paint explodes out of the airbrush, but after a few moments, i need to loosen it again, or it stops flowing. I've repeatedly cleaned it as spotless as i could see, but i still cannot get a reliable spray.

how do i "rebuild" my airbrush so that i know it works? i have just about no real expirience, i probably should not have just taken it apart, my mistake! wall1

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Any chance you could post a picture for us, Chris? Maybe someone will recognise the make and have some ideas for a fix. It would also help to know if it's a single- or double-action brush.
Often, if the needle gets bent, it will also damage the tip in which it works.

If the paint doesn't flow, it could be a sign of insufficient thinning or, perhaps, old paint that contains lumps of hardened pigment. Also, check your air line for obstructions, including the moisture trap.

Wayne

N

nachoman

gotta aree with TinGoat. My bet is you are using acrylic paint... I always have problems with acrylic paint unless I strain it first. Little bits of paint dry around the rim of the jar, and become insoluable bits that clog your airbrush.

Kevin

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Clogging is one possibility....Your air supply might also be at fault. I had a similar problem with my Paasche brush and looked all over it to find the problem...There was none. One day I finally gave up, and it ocurred to me to try an old compressor (quite a bit larger than the one I had been using...), and lo & behold...It worked like a charm....No sputtering or clogging, and I was using acrylics...

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Sorry i haven't gotten back to you guys. It was a Badger Crescendo

I finally found out that its the cone on the tip of the air brush causing the problem. It apparently require you to switch the cone out if you use a different sized needle. I didn't know that, and so when i switched back to my old needle (after improvising and whittling off the bent tip), my airbrush had returned to normal.

the new problem is getting that cone off. It looks like i'll need two pairs of pliers.... fun.