Thanks for letting me join

slashman48

Jan 4, 2022
Retired early because of Parkinson's, but weld some art from steel & old junk parts when I'm able. Trying to learn basic 3d modeling to aid in making some simple sculptures and wall art for mainly Christmas, Birthday and just gifts for friends & family. Would like to be able to convert a simpler 3d model to 2d flat stencil then cut with a plasma cutter & weld together. Thanks.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Welcome slash, nice to see somebody who works with steel. Looking forward to see some build from you.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Welcome to Zealot!

If you want to learn 3D modeling then I suggest learning Blender or Rhino3D. Both programs are good for making files that will allow you to use 3D printers and cutting machines. In fact one of our Moderators @zathros has expertise in this type of thing. Zathros used to be a machinist working in the aerospace industry and he has experience in making CAD files which can then be used for cutting out stencils with a plasma cutter or CNC machine. Some of his work can be found here on the forum.

You will find Zealot to be a fun community to be part of and our members are knowledgeable in a number of areas.

Please enjoy your stay here and reach out to us if you have any questions!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to Zealot! You have come to the right place for all things paper & cardstock (and other materials and mediums), as well as model building as a whole, and to build and hone your skills. If I may ask, what genre are you interested in?

It is good to see a welder on the forum. I am very interested in seeing what all you have done!
With that being said, most any paper/cardstock template can transferred to metal (or most any other material for that matter) and manipulated accordingly!

When you start a new project, I would like to invite you to post build threads of your projects. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as to highlight problem areas that you may need help with or show how you were able to solve said problem.

So, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Please feel free to post your art. You could post it in the Renders and Illustrations section. I was a model maker, tool and dye, programmed and operated 4 5 and 8 acis CNC machines. I would love to see your art. I have a Mig and Tig welder, I don't have the guts to try artwork, but do appreciate it. Welcome to Zealot. You can post pics in this thread too.

Reactions: Awry_Chaos

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello slashman,

welcome to the forum!

Your introduction peaked my interest. I too would love to see some of the work you have already done. Your idea to use flattened templates for cutting and welding the parts together sounds exciting. Lots of cosplayers make use of this technique but seeing actual metal sculptures made of it is something we have rarely seen here. In fact, at the moment I remember only gman who builds fantastic models using soda cans. He cuts them up, flattens them, traces the model parts pattern, cuts out the parts and assembles them. The results are breath-taking and bring the hobby to another level. In addition, our Red has built a sheet metal Cylon Centurion.

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

Reactions: Awry_Chaos