Tank Tracks.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I've always wondered how people do this. I think I have come up with a method. I had to "Array Object along a curve" to get the tracks to line up right. Not having measured anything, I subtracted the tracks till the all bent at the appropriate place. The "Flow along Surface" command distorted the tracks. It may work for this. Probably something I'm doing wrong. I need to research it more. :)

Attachments

• TankTracks.jpg
    TankTracks.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 62

Chris74

Jun 3, 2010
Romania
If the track is long enough, I think a method could be to glue it on the upper parts of the wheels.... at least, if the ensemble wheel/track it's not supposed to be "functional". Just an idea.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'm sorry. I should have clarified. The track links are each separate parts. The trick was trying to have the tracks follow a surface and bend according to the parts where they are linked in a virtual C.A.D. Render scene. That is what is demonstrated here. It seems right. Looks can be deceiving! :)

Attachments

• TankTracks2.jpg
    TankTracks2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 198

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks. This section of the forum is for illustrating and rendering. Poeple who have knowledge of such things are welcome to offer up ideas. I worked primarily with Rhino3D 4.0 and 5.0. By practicing parts it can improve model making. Making a model render nicely really has nothing to do with making a model tat can be made into a paper model. There is a place for nice renders though and by studying renders, one can figure out what compromises have to be made to make a paper model.

Rendering for the sake of rendering is also a lot of fun. :)

Nellie45

Dec 5, 2013
This information is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It would be, but people do build them link for link, and they look stunning! :)