Swiss Electric with a twist

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Here's another piccy of that Swiss electro-steamer. Now wouldn't you like this one as a switcher for your yard, interurben? ;)

BTW: Imagine an electrically heated BigBoy under catenary! :D :D :D

Ron

Attachments

• sbb-e3-3elektrisch.jpg
    sbb-e3-3elektrisch.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 118
  • sbb-e3-3elektrisch.jpg
    sbb-e3-3elektrisch.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 120

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
:cool: Thanks Andrew, I have a picture of that Beautiful wonderful machine. Thanks for the write up ...
Wish I could get me little mitts on her...........:D :D :D :D :D :p

Is this the same one you posted a while back Ron????? or her sister?;) ;)

HE HE I just check Ron and it`s her sister,,:)

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
heh heh

You mean I could convert my little N gauge 0-6-0 to keep the sparks flying off the overhead and still remain prototypical? What a hoot that would be!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
You're right, interurben - I posted the same pic a few months ago (but couldn't find it again :mad: )

There were only two engines of that type. They were converted about 1943 from ordinary steam switchers. The aim was to save coal, since coal was very scarce in Switzerland during WW II. Each one of them saved about 300 tons of coal per year.

From the standpoint of energy conversion they were not very efficient, of course. But they were loved by the firemen: No coal to shovel! Heating up the boiler was a short affair, too - in less than an hour they were ready to go.

They ran until 1952, then they were scrapped. :(

I think I have one more pic of them. I'll try to locate, scan and post it when I come back from work.

Ron