Super Star Destroyer paper model

erebus

Hey guys, i'm erebus and i've been building paper models ever since I was a kid but now I really wanna step up my game and increase my skills. I will designing 3 versions of the executor class star destroyer (yeah that's right). I wanna make a foot long version for rpg games and such that use minis, a larger 3 foot model and hopefully (this is still a maybe due to the intricacy of the superstructures overlapping near the bridge tower) a 6 foot version. Now I know this is alot to promise and I am committed to this however I will be honest, I have never designed or read on how to design a paper model. Now I'm university so my goal is for the summer finish the base model of the the 3ft version and upload it for free (yeah) before my fall semester starts. That way I can just change sizes and tweak as i go on. Now I cannot do this alone and I need all of you reading this thread on this forum to post any websites on how to build a paper model and any programs you would recommend. Please post stuff other than pepekura and please help me find any all programs (specifically freewares). If some of you guys still wanna help I need any and all pictures of the SSD. Specifically these but don't be afraid to post more. 1) a birds eye view of the top, sides, aft, and bottom section. If you guys find some of the engine compartments and the bottom I would highly appreciate. By the way for those of you wondering yes I will make 2 versions of each, one imperial and one rebel. Please help me out guys and I appreciate this in advance since I got exams any help you guys will lend. Now I know anyone reading this is probably getting excited at the thought of a fleet of and a six foot model of the SSD. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about its the really huge star destroyer in Episode V and VI of the star wars movies and appears numerous times in the expanded universe. Here is a visual aid, happy hunting guys

erebus

imgres

Attachments

• 6282896150_b69c9fc071.jpg
    6282896150_b69c9fc071.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 739
Z

Zathros

6'!! You may want to consider starting to get some 1/4" plywood! :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Yeah, at least basswood! Such a beast will need heavy duty support.

I think I can help out with suggestions and such. Regarding a free modeling program, nothing beats Metasequoia for both ease of use and versatility.

Here's the download site: http://metaseq.net/english/

Regarding pics, here are the sites I know of:

www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/executor.htm There are no top-down images, but there are a lot of detail pics.

As for a top-down, orthographic view, you're in luck. This is a blueprint based off the original filming miniature. You won't be able to find any pics of the original miniature like this I believe, but this is supposedly made from the angles on the miniature:

6932323465_53598c445b_z.jpg

Remember that the top and bottom are distorted because of perspective, so make sure to take that into account. :thumb:

Millenniumfalsehood

Hey TC, that first one is actually the Imperial Star Battlecruiser Bellator designed by Fructose. :wink:

Something I just discovered: the guys at the X-wing Alliance Upgrade project have completed their WONDERFUL Executor model!!! Check this baby out:

executor4.jpg

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_1.png

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_10.png

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_8.png

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_ 4.png

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_ 12.png

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_ 7.png

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots.php?image=ssd_1_ 9.png

This bad boy has been a long time coming, and will be a wonderful addition to my unfold project.

Unless you wanted to use it as a jumping off point for your model?

Satka

Hi erebus

This is an awesome project you're starting! I'd love to build it too!
I'll see if I can help with any pics I might have ...

Side note: I was wondering how long this beast would be if scaled to milleniumfalsehood's current large models ... massive, and just impossible to build in paper obviously.

erebus

Everyone who replied THANK YOU, and to people who think a 6 foot model will be over the top i remind that will be the grand finale for those who want to really have something to stand out in their shelf (if they have the space). Everyone else thanks for the support, I'm almost ready to start building i just gotta start with making blueprints, and guys i have exams so I apologize if I don't reply promptly within the next 2 -3 weeks but seeing the support from your guys is great motivation. Anyone got any engine and bottom views, those 2 are one I can't seem to find.
Millenniumfalsehood, thanks for the site!.

erebus

Satka, the model will be in 3 lengths (1ft, 3ft, and 6ft) I have to review falsehood's works before I can say anything but for now i'm committed to creating a 1ft model hopefully this summer or late fall. Now if anyone is wondering about progress I already have an internal structure in my head i just gotta draw, take some measurements and spend some time on the program falsehood send sometime tonight.

Millenniumfalsehood

Well, you'd be hard pressed to find display space for an Executor in scale with my models. At the scale I unfolded the Star Destroyers at, the model would be 21.3 feet, or 6.5 meters long. :eek:

Though that might be a good dining room table. You'd just have to figure out how to keep the food from sliding off the sloped hull . . .

sign1

Satka

Hehe ... I'm thinking eating peas on this table right now :p

But ... ohhh ... a Star Destroyer-textured (flat) table !
Or even a Death Star one !

Imagine a fully detailed 3D model, covered with a glass slate
That's a nice project there ...
Although not in paper (colors might fade over time, wouldn't they?)

Well, you'd be hard pressed to find display space for an Executor in scale with my models. At the scale I unfolded the Star Destroyers at, the model would be 21.3 feet, or 6.5 meters long. :eek:

Though that might be a good dining room table. You'd just have to figure out how to keep the food from sliding off the sloped hull . . .

sign1

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
My best wishes on the finished product and the addition to your house to fit it!!!

The DC

F131

F131
Time to find my XWA game. I've been waiting a lot of years to blow up a high caliber version of this ship. Oh, it would be fun to built it, too.

Inv8r_timmy

I can vouche for the quality of the XWAU OPT, it would make a fantastic source for a model or reference profiles. It took 10 years, but it's stunning how well they nailed the SSD, in fact I'm surprised the engine can handle it (but it does...just good luck seeing the whole thing onscreen at once!). If you plan on using it to convert to pdo, you're probably going to want to throw out a bit of the model first (it's got a huge interior hangar system, numerous bridges on the dorsal surface...just so much stuff going on).

Millenniumfalsehood

Yes, it truly is a fine model. And it WILL crash old machines (just imagine how I figured *that* out. :rolleyes: ). If you do decide to download the new Executor, make sure your PC can handle it.

It's hard to believe they started it in 2002 and are just now finishing it. Gives new meaning to the term "dedication". This should make Hot4Darmat feel better about taking so long on his Outland shuttle. :mrgreen:

Inv8r_timmy

Also saw that they`re FINALLY about to release the `Avenger` version of the ISD (the deuce). I`ve been waiting for that for 10 years now. Imagine a nice scale version of Vader`s squadron to go along with erebus`s SSD.....mmmmmmmmm.....stardestroyer.....