Sudsy's Benchtop - Mk I Dreadnought build

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Needed a change of pace today, since I'm on the painting phase of the second BMP, yet had a hankering for building something different, I figured why not build a couple of dreadnoughts?

20190209_123952.jpg

You can see the body core built already for one of the Dreadnoughts. These are classics from Rouge Trader era, so they can be either the Dreadnought or Imperial Robot (if my recollection of the Compendium and/or Book of the Astronomicon is correct).

Lots of circles! I can see Silveroxide lamininating like crazy if he ever builds these!

I'm likely to place these on one of my 3D print bases instead of the paper one.
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Today's progress.

I used some of Silveroxide's round lamination and forming advice, I pulled out dowels and ratchets and my new paper cutter to cut the strips to lamniate the round parts with. I'm pleased with the results and wondering 'why didn't I think of that' which just goes to show you the awesomeness of the Internet and in particular Zealot for being a rally point for such information!

20190209_130302.jpg 20190209_133419.jpg 20190209_141040.jpg 20190209_155132.jpg 20190209_155139.jpg 20190209_155147.jpg
 
Last edited:

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Last of todays progress! Got the torso and head all completed. Next step will be arms, legs, and of course weapons. Not a bad pause point. I might look into incorporating some small washers into the arms and magnets into the weapons (or vice versa).

These MK I Dreadnoughts come together pretty quick!

20190209_162507.jpg 20190209_162512.jpg 20190209_162520.jpg
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Midweek paper modeling madness!

More progress on the MK I Dreadnought. Thighs are built. Again, I used a slightly abreviated version of Silveroxide's round laminiation method using the ratchets as forms. On the cylinders, I used orginal Tightbond wood glue as it has a longer drying (and therefore working time) than the Tightbond III I have normally used. I then used sand paper flat on my bench top to even out the height of the large and small cylinders before assembling them to the sides of the thigh. Some of the pictures are out of sequence for build, I ended up knocking out the first one before I realized I was going to attempt to document the process!

20190212_201923.jpg 20190212_203657.jpg 20190212_205835.jpg 20190212_210003.jpg 20190212_210139.jpg 20190212_210625.jpg
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Got some more work on the legs and feet. Hopefully turned a mistake on one foot into an opportunity. Used cotton swab sticks for the pegs, something I learned from Zealots! Now I need a base plate finished so I can pose the feet. Got my 3d printed base ready to go, just needs a rock or something (MRE anyone?!).
 

Attachments

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
20190216_210520.jpg 20190216_214030.jpg 20190216_214035.jpg

Arm started. I am modifying the design further adding thickness to the forearm. Patorch's template has the forearms built up with two layers only, might have been fine if I had laminated onto cereal box again.
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Arm build up, well, upper arm at any rate:
20190217_121952.jpg 20190217_122135.jpg 20190217_122141.jpg 20190217_122435.jpg 20190217_122658.jpg 20190217_122856.jpg

Using the paper cutter (like shearing sheet metal) was handy. Just cut strips 5mm wide. This served to create the round lamnitated pieces, and then fill in the upper arm once things were in place with the flat parts of the template.
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
I neglected to properly record my build up of the forearm and hand. It was largely a box build with the templates on the outside, and using the 5mm strip to build up the depth of the forearm to match the upper arm.

20190217_135119.jpg 20190217_123950.jpg 20190217_124542.jpg
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
On to final assembly of the left arm with the weaponry (will have to try and look it up here... Lexicanum here I come...).

20190217_142552.jpg 20190217_150031.jpg 20190217_150333.jpg 20190217_150907.jpg

Not pictured is the coating of primer I put on the body and base, I'll save priming the left arm for when I get the right arm done and do those together!
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Nothing too fancy, just getting a base coat down. I'm shooting for something similar too the BMPs to unify my unit's camo scheme! Though, I might not be able to resist painting that twin linked bolter housing the traditional red from WH40K:RT/2nd Ed. era... Got to tip my hat to that era with this build! It is after all, a MK I...20190222_222142.jpg
 

Sudsy

New Member
Sep 29, 2018
216
496
0
37
Here is my painting approach for the MK I Dreadnought.

I added a sponge dip and dab for the camoflague pattern for the base coating. Only difference in color choice between this and the BIMPs it will serve with on my table top is the light folliage green. Not sure I like it so much to be honest. Dreadnoughts can be different though. I like camo versus bright right or blue, as that just makes these bullet magnets more magnetic. I like tactical looking machines on the miniature battlefield! Part of why I have Imperial Guard stuff going on, as Space Marines are too flashy. Orks can be bright colors, they are that stupid after all, Eldar have no excuses for being so brightly colored (gee, that might explain extinction...).

20190223_105418.jpg 20190223_110124.jpg 20190223_110131.jpg 20190223_110557.jpg 20190223_130525.jpg 20190223_130549.jpg 20190223_133549.jpg 20190223_133603.jpg 20190223_143740.jpg 20190223_143818.jpg 20190223_143829.jpg 20190223_143838.jpg