Stolen Bridge!

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Surfing through the Yahoo! News photos I saw this...

Attachments

• stolen.JPG
    stolen.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 193

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Ive seen that same situation on my layout before. The track had this real nice dip in it that need some support.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
I took it! And they'll never find it nor catch me! It is all part of my evil diabolical plan to take over the WORLD!!! MUUAHAHHAHAAAA!!!

...hey who is that knocking on the door???

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Good to see that you are willing to take the wrap for this...

I took it! And they'll never find it nor catch me! It is all part of my evil diabolical plan to take over the WORLD!!! MUUAHAHHAHAAAA!!!

...hey who is that knocking on the door???

First, I stoled Doctor Frank's De-Bigulator...

Then, I stoled the bridge...

Now, it's on my layout. sign1

Art Decko

I took it! And they'll never find it nor catch me!

I saw this in today's local paper and immediately thought of this thread.

Tetters, for your next caper, maybe you should use a "stealth" tugboat. ;)

Attachments

• waibaidu bridge.jpg
    waibaidu bridge.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 75

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
I saw this in today's local paper and immediately thought of this thread.

Tetters, for your next caper, maybe you should use a "stealth" tugboat. ;)

That looks interesting, Can you give us anymore details or a link to a online version of the story?

Art Decko

That looks interesting, Can you give us anymore details or a link to a online version of the story?

Sure! It's the Waibaidu Bridge (aka Garden Bridge), a local landmark in Shanghai, and the first steel bridge constructed in China. After 100 years of service, it is being taken down and transported to a local shipyard for renovations, after which it will be re-installed. The photo shows the first half of the bridge on its way.

Because Shanghai was a major boom-town in the 1920s and 30s, when it was largely under control of foreign powers (UK, US, France & Japan), the city is loaded with western architecture from that period, especially Beaux Arts style, and the world's largest existing concentration of Art Deco buildings.

Local Shanghainese are really proud of this heritage (maybe seems counter-intuitive, but it's true), and the city's government is working hard to preserve such buildings and structures all over the city. Renovating the Waibaidu Bridge is part of that effort.

Here's a link to an article in the Shanghai Daily, with a photo of the other half being moved.