Steampunk tracked vehicle

silveroxide

As mentioned in another thread, here is the begining of another sci-fi project. It was originally posted by "rockpaperscissors" Tracked Patrol Machine, 1905 And it can be found here: • Afficher le sujet - La Tracked Patrol Machine type 53 While it is a great little model as is, I tend to over embellish those simple models. This one is no exception. I will not upload the plans but I will show you how I made the extra details for this little one. Enjoy the build sequence, which I will commence shortly. The last photo, is a comparison to the Warhammer Catachan Commander. The cab is not set yet and will receive additional
details.

Sany0001.jpg

Sany0002.jpg

Sany0003.jpg

[/ATTACH] 038.jpg

Last edited:

silveroxide

The build begins. The first thing, is to break up the printed track unit and make the individual pieces so as to make it 3 dimensional. First on the list, is the making of the drive and road wheels. In the background, is a finished track unit.001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg

silveroxide

will be watching this one with intrest

Thanks for looking in. This thread will not be as long as the Galleon, and I am thinking what next after this.

This model is coming along faster than I thought. The hardest and tedious part were the individual tracks Here is the process I used for the making of the wheels.
smile.gif

009.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 016.jpg

silveroxide

Continuing with the track unit. It is coming along nicely as a matching set. As mentioned in one of the pictures, that single track unit can be converted into a steampunk motorcycle. I am floating that idea already and I can see it finished in my mind, It would look good with a side car.017.jpg 018.jpg 019.jpg 020.jpg 021.jpg 022.jpg 023.jpg 024.jpg 025.jpg

silveroxide

This session is the end of the track units and then on to the main body. I was planning on making each track link individually but decided against it and used an easier alternative. It does not give me the drive sprockets but it works.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 19

silveroxide

The lower hull is attached to the track units. because of the hump, the lower hull had to be elevated higher to be even with the top of the tracks. If this is not done, then the upper hull would not be able to sit right on top of the lower hull. As you can see, the turret ring is cut out and the access door is also cut out. It will have a simplified interior. Enjoy and see you all next posting.030.jpg 031.jpg 032.jpg 033.jpg 034.jpg 035.jpg 036.jpg 037.jpg 038.jpg 039.jpg

silveroxide

Here are some more updates, and then there will be a short break while I catch up to the photo editing. The front of the drivers section is built up and instrument clusters are attached. This part went up fast and I forgot to photo shoot the construction of the crew cabin. On the inside of the front glacis, there is another instrument cluster not shown here and the painting and instrument detailing are also not shown. There are also some inside panels at the inside rear for access to the engine compartment with caution signs.

While I made the dual exhaust system, I also added some more grill work which I named heat exchanger. The original had the fuel tank to the rear top and the exhaust was to be from the bottom.040.jpg 041.jpg 042.jpg 043.jpg 044.jpg 045.jpg 046.jpg 047.jpg

silveroxide

Here are some more photos for your enjoyment. The entrance/access door will open up instead of the traditional out to the side. The vehicle seems to have roots in a CAT Dozer, so I gave it a plow/blade. The lights are also traditional and not the single spotlight in the plans.
smile.gif
048.jpg 049.jpg 050.jpg 051.jpg 052.jpg 053.jpg 054.jpg 055.jpg 056.jpg 057.jpg

silveroxide

with all the snow we have gotten I can sure use a real one of these.looking great!

Thanks for looking in and a real version of one of these would come in handy in this weather we are having.

It was brought to my attention that the door would be too heavy in this configuration, it would be too heavy and even with hydraulics, A failure would impede a safe egress from the crew compartment. I reverted to the original position and it actually looks better that way. As of this posting, the little fella is finished. All that is left, is updating the photos.

In this session, The external fuel cells are reduced in size and there are two, instead of the singular large one in the rear. The shovels are made and attached to their respective places. Tow cables are added and placed on both sides of the hull. Headlamps are made for the front and tail lights for the rear. The plans have two spotlights but I will only use one for the turret, which will be shown later on. The access door is still in the up position but the final photos will show it in the traditional position. See you all soon with more details.058.jpg 059.jpg 060.jpg 061.jpg 062.jpg 063.jpg 064.jpg 065.jpg 066.jpg

silveroxide

So here is the beginning of the turret session. I disregarded the 30 cal mg and opted for a heavier gun but too large for the turret. This size turret can handle a smaller cannon, like a 20mm or 40mm. A 70mm cannon would be on the extreme capabilities and I would have to change the turret to fit it.

There are a bunch of photos that are not shown, they are the ones of the door in the up position. The original door concept will come later.072.jpg 073.jpg 074.jpg 075.jpg 076.jpg 077.jpg 078.jpg 079.jpg 080.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Holy Crap!! Man you really banged this out!! I am so wanting to have your magical powers!!! :mad:

silveroxide

Holy Crap!! Man you really banged this out!! I am so wanting to have your magical powers!!! :mad:

Thanks for looking in John, My magical powers is called imagination. I took one look at this little guy and I already modified and built it in my mind. I just put it all together.

More updates on the turret. The turret received minimal inside details. Added a few more details to the outside. The model is almost finished. See you all soon withe final pics.
smile.gif
081.jpg 082.jpg 083.jpg 084.jpg 085.jpg 091.jpg 092.jpg 093.jpg 094.jpg 095.jpg

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
its great to see another step by step instructions by you again, the first one I viewed was of the aliens apc. your work is tops. and I am absorbing all you post , to aspire to a higher level of skill, thank you and all like you who share your skill for us to learn from.
jim

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this project!!!
Watching your build threads is always AWE INSPIRING!!!
The techniques that you use are simple enough that anyone can use them for (most) any project, but the end results are always SPECTACULAR!!!

Thank you for sharing another one of your AMAZING builds with us all.

silveroxide

its great to see another step by step instructions by you again, the first one I viewed was of the aliens apc. your work is tops. and I am absorbing all you post , to aspire to a higher level of skill, thank you and all like you who share your skill for us to learn from.
jim

Thanks for looking in and for your kind words on my works. That ALIENS APC was a lark but another long one but not as long as the Galleon. My method is to give ideas and have others think outside of the box.

You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this project!!!
Watching your build threads is always AWE INSPIRING!!!
The techniques that you use are simple enough that anyone can use them for (most) any project, but the end results are always SPECTACULAR!!!

Thank you for sharing another one of your AMAZING builds with us all.

Thank you RB, this model is one of those that sometimes jumps to the head of the line, Now I have to think up as to what next!.

Well this one is done and is in the archives. It was an enjoyable build and a fast one compared to some of my other builds. It is almost a 1/48 or 1/40 scale. The ammo boxes were scratch built a well as the C-rat boxes. The accessories for 40k and 1/35 scale were too big. I made a diorama display background and added some boxes and stuff. i hope that you have all enjoyed the thread and hopefully I will start the next one soon. I have yet not decided on what next. Until then, see you around the forum.097.jpg 098.jpg 099.jpg 100.jpg 101.jpg 102.jpg 103.jpg 104.jpg 105.jpg