Steam locomotive hunt

Wiredup

Dec 8, 2007
Hey all,
I'm finally getting back into this glorious hobby after a 10 year break. I have pretty much lost all of my rolling stock and locomotives, very little still survives. So I'm looking to 'restart' so to speak.

I'm going to be modeling in N scale, but I know there is more HO scale loco's available in different 'styles', and there is a couple of locos I want for display purposes because they mean SO much to my childhood and my identity. These are:

CNR 4-8-2 Light Mountain '6060' Bullet Nosed Betty (would actually take any Light Mountain that shares the '6060's bullet nosed. I can repaint if I have too)

CP 4-8-4 Royal Hudson (once again, will take any Hudson that shares the same look as the Royal)

These two locos are ones that I would love to have, especially if I can find them in N Scale, but could deal with HO varients so I my display them aswell (which is why I posted this in HO as well)

Does anyone know where I could find these locos? I have spent the better part of a week searching through google trying to find anything that even looks remotely similar.

My N scale collection is pretty small right now, I've got a Model Power Pacific CP steamer in NIB condition, and a small (10 cars) collection of rolling freight.

I have no idea if I will be basing my layout on an existing or historical layout, or a fictional layout of my own design.

I don't plan on using very much diesel technology in my layout, but I'm not too worried about things being period correct. :)

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Welcome aboard..!! I don't have any of the info you're looking for but I'm sure some folks here do & will get you what you need.
Hope your new venture into the hobby is as rewarding as it is for all of us here...:thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Both locos were on the small side for their wheel arrangement. I don't know anything that looks like a Royal Hudson except for a couple of other CPR locos. And the CN mountain had a pretty distinctive front end. You might find something that looks like the older mountains, though.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
IHC makes a CNR Mountain in HO. No 6064. It doesn't have a bullet nose however. It is a blank Selkirk looking boiler face. It comes with a semi-vanderbuilt tender.

Royal Hudsons have been done in brass by PFM and Overland models.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
once again, will take any Hudson that shares the same look as the Royal
No other railway that I know had semi-streamlined locomotives even resembling the style of Royal Hudsons, Selkirks and Jubilees.

Yes, CN and CP both had beautiful, distinctive power. The unfortunate part for modellers is "distinctive".

Wiredup

Dec 8, 2007
Yea, I've been noticing that. Even CP/CN n scale steam is becoming harder to find thats not under the Model Power banner....

I've opted for 'blank' Bachmann Spectrum stuff that I'll repaint in the colors I want.

What is the best resource for brass kits? I don't even know how much they cost, but judging from the material I assume expensive.

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
4-8-4 Royal Hudson?!

Ummmm...... The Royal Hudsons were "Hudsons" witch would make them 4-6-4's not 4-8-4's :cry:. the only way to get one of those in N scale is to get a old con-cor 4-6-4, and a Del Prado Royal Hudson static model, and bash the heck out of the two untill they shell from the model fit on to the mech and tender frame of the 4-6-4.

Wiredup

Dec 8, 2007
Ummmm...... The Royal Hudsons were "Hudsons" witch would make them 4-6-4's not 4-8-4's :cry:. the only way to get one of those in N scale is to get a old con-cor 4-6-4, and a Del Prado Royal Hudson static model, and bash the heck out of the two untill they shell from the model fit on to the mech and tender frame of the 4-6-4.

oops, my bad! Thanks for pointing that out. Thats a great idea though for merging the two kits. Thanks!

I wonder if I could find a 6060 kit like that too.... hummmm

btw: got a hold of a 6060 HO scale this weekend. :)