Star Wars Y-wing /my design/ 1:48

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Hello friends,

I am working on my own Y-wing paper model. It will be 1:48 scale to match Imcold X-wing model. This is the original movie model my design is based on - Y-wing Gold 2.

SW_ANH-Y-Wing1.jpg

Hopefully it will looks like it when done:). This is how my 3d model looks right now.

y-wing - 001.jpg

It is based on DaveG open source project presented on RPF forum. I am slowly reworking it to be "paper friendly" and as accurate as I can make it.

I am working on forward fuselage first. I think it is the most difficult part of the ship to design, because of its compound curved surface. Overall shape is to my liking now so I made inner base structure and unfolded it. I need to test build it.

y-wing - 002 - forehead base structure.jpg

If you feel I am overengieering it let me know:).

During research I have found this paper model designed by Janx and tesbuilded by Getter1 few years ago. It was not finished and released.

178121d1377057592-new-development-08200009.jpg

I like its level of detail. I want to do the same level of detail on mine. I think it is the sweetspot between too simple and too complex for normal modeller who does not want to spend too much time on one model.
Of course another optional advanced greebling will be provided:)

What do you think? Is it OK for you or would you prefer the base to be simpler?

So that is the bold plan and the ball is rolling. Hopefully I will finish it someday:).

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I prefer to be challenged when I am building a model. However, I also like the option to be able to add even more greebles as I so choose. I like the fact that you are wanting to keep things in a "happy medium". It looks like you are off to a very good start! I will be following this thread. I wish you the very best of luck!!!

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank You.

Same with me Rhaven Blaack. All greebles must be there in full detail:). And they will be there. I just want to make less challenging but still visualy appealing and rich version that will not scare off other modelers right away:).

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is wonderful! I had no idea that a Y-Wing paper model has been in the works. I agree with Rhaven, put everything possible in it but make it easy to build. When I was making the Andrew Probert Triangle Ship I chose not to go all-out but to incorporate as many greeblies as possible and still leave some room for additional custom greebling. I used the texture to "fake" some structures in order to keep the parts count under control. ;)

As with all well-known and well-documented models it is sometimes difficult to decide how to tackle it. You know how certain parts look like and the crux with references is that once you know how something looks it has to be replicated that way. :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of this project. A 1/48 scale Y-Wing will be huge, BTW. Should be about 1.5 times as long as Imcold's X-Wing. At least. :)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think an accurate technically complex model of this ship would be very well received. :)

fighter1-png.164297
Fried Wing: fried wing.jpg

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Spray on clear coat, just drench it and let it drip, while hanging nose up. Don't know why I felt the need to say that, might smooth out the joins? To me the model looks perfect so far. I really admire scratch builder's skills.

Reactions: bigpetr and zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
My dog hates me when I eat Fried Wings. :noteeth:

Reactions: bigpetr

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
Been waiting for a big Y Wing model for a long time, really looking forward to this

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Forehead test build. I am trying to have upper skin (and lower skin) in one piece eventhou it needs to form compound curve surface. Seems it can work. This is not final texture. I needed to have something there quickly soI useed blury refernce photo as texture. I will do that ocassionaly. Texturing will be done after the whole forehead part is solved and tested.

y-wing - 003 - forehead base structure.jpg y-wing - 004 - forehead test build.jpg

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That looks really excellent!! :)