Star Wars NEW Republic Gunship- Bob's Build

Z

Zathros

Wow, you have a great start. This is the first time I have seen this built. If it's anything like your Rodger Young, it will be awesome! )

Millenniumfalsehood

This one is waiting for me to find clear styrene balls of the correct diameter for the turrets. I'm excited to see what you come up with and how it turns out. :thumb:

F131

F131
This one is waiting for me to find clear styrene balls of the correct diameter for the turrets. I'm excited to see what you come up with and how it turns out. :thumb:
I'm not sure how I am going to do that yet. I do have transparency sheets but I don't want to see glue marks.:confused:

Millenniumfalsehood

You could make a simple vacuforming machine out of pegboard and a vacuum hose adapter. Then you just take a piece of clear styrene, mount it to a wooden frame, then heat it up, jam it over the plug, and turn the machine on. You can get good results without having to spend a lot of money.

zwave343

the human lazor
i wanted to build this one, but it is now just another stack of paper on the ever-growing mountain of projects i forgot (and didnt want to do.)

F131

F131
Wow, the Holidays are busy....... I haven't got too much furthur, but I like whats forming.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 18
Z

Zathros

I showed my son and his Jaw dropped too. He has the big Lego version and the paper one is far more accurate. Considering the Lego one was well over $100 dollars, Oh well, he still has it and loves it. I get to play with it when he's in school! :)

Kjev

Would clear ping pong balls work? Or can you raid the Christmas Decoration department of a local store?

clif52

Banned
I was at Michael's Craft Store this weekend and they have clear plastic Christmas ornament balls in different sizes. I thought about using one to make a Souix Helicopter bubble.

Clif

F131

F131
I showed my son and his Jaw dropped too. He has the big Lego version and the paper one is far more accurate. Considering the Lego one was well over $100 dollars, Oh well, he still has it and loves it. I get to play with it when he's in school! :)
I never understood why plastic bricks could be so expensive, but the SW toys are cool. :cool:
This model is great. I too built one myself recently.
Lets see some pictures. Feel free to add them to this thread.
I was at Michael's Craft Store this weekend and they have clear plastic Christmas ornament balls in different sizes. I thought about using one to make a Souix Helicopter bubble.

Clif
Hey, thats a great idea. I have plastic transperancy, but I am not looking forward to those gun mounts.....or the canopy. First time for everything.

F131

F131
I will do my typical edge painting when the model is almost half way done. I did use a black water proof marker for the cockpit edeges and it ran when I glued the parts together. Back to the stinky Sharpie.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 15

F131

F131
I'm really digging this model. In Photoshop, I started joining parts, so if you look at the Starboard side you can see where there cockpit section blends with the Trooper section. The overlap of parts is giving a nice layered effect.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 15

F131

F131
The lower, aft section is a bit of a pain to fold.....but sure fits nice. Beware to anyone building this model, without formers, I squashed the upper aft section when pushing too hard to combine with the lower aft section. The wing assembly should mask most of my opps.:cry:

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 13

F131

F131
Ok, the family survived Christmas (and my sanity) so, back to building.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 21
Z

Zathros

This is so cool! This is really coming along! I wish I had a little more salt in me to try this out!