Star Wars A-wing / Shunichi Makino + heavy mods/ 1:48

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you guys. So far I am happy with it.

Only thing that bothers me (in general) is color stability of printed models. I put lots of time and effort to make my builds realy detailed so I want it to looks good for a long time. Paper yelowing and printed color unstability in time bothers me. I thought about painting my models, but painting is another beast I do not know I want to get into, well at least right now. I can not decide :).

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you guys. So far I am happy with it.

Only thing that bothers me (in general) is color stability of printed models. I put lots of time and effort to make my builds realy detailed so I want it to looks good for a long time. Paper yelowing and printed color unstability in time bothers me. I thought about painting my models, but painting is another beast I do not know I want to get into, well at least right now. I can not decide :).

One of the things that you may want to look at is, once the model is finished, sealing it with a clear coat spray. It should help with protecting the model from fading and yellowing.

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I am using clear coat spray. It surely helps, but it only slow down the proces in my experience. But I found solution to this problem. I made opaque display case:):bulgeeye::lolsign:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Keeping the models away from direct sun light also helps a great deal.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
and to add...spray the pages just after printing... acrylic matte varnish... soak each side with just enough that the page starts to look translucent, stops runs in coloring edges, stops the glue from penetrating into the paper, causing warpage...and protects the surface...

and then get a decent airbrush and paint it!! ( just kidding ...sort of ) ;) ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I enclosed the frame. It gave me a hard time. After gluing it made dents on the side of the hull. I thougth I am done and seriouse redesign would be needed. After I calmed down I cut the hole to the back where engines will be atached and stuff paper tissue inside to smooth the dents and it saved the day. It worked good and leftower imperfections will be covered by smaller detail. I can say I was really happy I do not have to redesign it.

20191206094952-357259.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Really, this is past words. Man that looks great!! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you very much. I am happy that everything fits good so far and no template changes needed. Now I need to go back to the computer and texture parts from the back and prepare the parts for the canopy plug and first batch of the greeblies.