Spam Can on test !!!

swissjohn

Not the greatest of pictures but I hope they will still appeal to the British ex-pats on The Gauge.
“Battle of Britain” Class 4-6-2 no. 34067 “Tangmere” on a test run from the East Lancashire Railway. The pictures were taken 30 minutes ago on the West Coast Mainline near to Warrington.
Happy memories
John.

Attachments

• 34067_1.jpg
    34067_1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 173

RailRon

Beautiful photos, John!

Even lousy weather in Winter has its advantages. At least everybody can see that this is a real STEAM locomotive. It looks as if she was carrying a white judges wig! :D :D :D

Oh, now to sit in that coach behind the loco, open the window and listen to the stack talk... :cool:

Thanks for sharing these pics with us.

Ron

swissjohn

Sadly the loco did not complete it's test run. It suffered an overheated tender axle bearing at Shrewsbury and had to return to base at reduced speed.
:(
John.

grumbeast

Great shots John, its not GWR but hey! it is Steam :) :D

Its a pity it didn't complete its trials, how did people
keeps these things running so well?, I think we're
losing the skills :(

Graham

Pooh Bah
ooh, and pulling my favourite train, the Pines!
well, at least the failure was the tender, and not blameable on the loco!

Woodie

That's really **cough cough** choofing along **cough splutter** the **cough** tracks!!

(Perhaps I should pull me head in from hanging out the thrid window!! :) )

swissjohn

News update

After the problems with the overheating tender axle box the loco returned to the East Lancashire Railway workshops for attention.
Last Thusday the loco made a further test run to Crewe and was deemed to be fit for a mainline passenger carrying trip today, its first in 40 years !!!
The loco was scheduled to haul a return working between Preston and Carlisle via Shap but sadly it was failed with an overheated big end bearing on the outward journey at Oxenholme.
John

Pooh Bah
Big end?

John:
Am I right that the Big End is the end of the connecting rod that is mounted on the wheel or crank, and the Little End is the end at the piston? I don't think the terms are used this side of the Atlantic.

interurban

Beautiful

Thanks John OOOOOO the memories.
Being a Lancashire Lad, Pics like that are a thing of beauty:D

Thanks for the post.
Now where are all the other shots :D :D :D