SpaceBattleship Yamato 2199 ~ 2202

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, you really modeling this down to the "Nitty Gritty". Great.

This thread is now in "Renders and Illustrations". Enjoy the view, that what this section is about, you can see a master and pick his brain. This thread is for posting of "Renders and Illustrations", not the promise of expectation of a model being released. Designers can look at other designers work and learn, or offer suggestions (I recommend being well versed in modeling, in this case). ;)

Last edited:

beuch

it's crazy work, congratulations it's beautiful!
I can not wait to see him in real life. ;)

thegreek270

hi goodduck,

what a huge effort on your side to this model. Congratulations for your patience.
I can't wait to see this one getting build.

continue the great work please.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
In regards to stiffening, I have found, as Alen hass, that the box stiffeners really hold up excellently. I think this is because allthe endges are glued and you are forming this solid little cubes and rectables with hardened edges. What I don't like about fom board, is that the foam is not "Structural foam". it is open celled usually, and over time, I have seem any foam panels bend. This is because the foam is not stiff enough and as the paper loosines it tensile strength due to moisture, the sheet bends. Now, if structural foat were used, you could just fill up the hull with it in liquid form, paint the whole ship with water proof paint, and it would float in water. :)

goodduck

Nice to see you posting. Builder's block fading? :)
I have to travel to CA over the weekend, and I always bring my project hard drive to keep me busy at night in the hotel. I was scheduled to fly back to TX on Tuesday but got canceled due to a snowstorm. And canceled the next day and the day after that. I finally got to fly on Friday. So, I got a lot of time on my hand to work on the Yamato sitting in the hotel.
I encountered some problems unfolding the bow here and there, so I had to rebuild a bit. It took a lot of time to go over everything. And I still don't know how well it goes together in paper form. Honestly, for four to five days, I asked myself why I was still doing this. I have built a digital model already; move on to something else. But I do want to hold that in my hand someday, and that thought keeps me going.
The model will have two versions of the main cannon—Smoothbore for the faint of heart builders. And rifled for people who think life isn't heard enough.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 8

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The rifling could be done with wood strips sold at hobby shops. Nice looking! :)