Soda Can aircraft projects recently completed

zathros

-----SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
Is that a Mig in the making?

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Its okay really. The Manzanita tree got a break this week! ;)

I decided to build a modified FG P-47 without the usual bubble canopy out of Venom Energy Drink cans. This kit was was enlarged to 1:33 scale and came in at just over 13 inches long with a massive 15.5 inch wingspan. For this model I dumped the usual bubble canopy and instead custom built the cockpit seen in the photos. This custom clear canopy was constructed from 4 pieces and as usual the clear vinyl really adds to the project. The cans looked so stunning that I could not bring myself to add the usual insignia or two and unit designations. This is another example of how some minor modifications to a simple pattern can produce a very quality project. Wasn't sure of the cans to start, but it came together at the end:

Ahh man that is WICKED LOOKING!!

gman_93643

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! I finally got around to finishing a MiG 15. For this model I wanted to add some little details such as the nose cannons, an insignia or two and some unit markings. I further tried to give it some added pop by doing it in some Chinese PLAAF colors with the red tail and nose. The nose of course had to be weighed down in order to enable the model to sit on its landing gear. This one took 6 pennies in the nose to do the trick! Landing gear struts were composed of Q-tip stems which also doubled nicely for the gun barrels, and it was finally topped off with a clear canopy. No under structure like some of the new fangled builders are using and it is instead a testament to how a simple pattern can be modified to create a nice looking project.

Here are some photos of the finished product:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
That's Sweet!! :)

gman_93643

Oct 30, 2017
It came together at the end once the little details were on it! :)

But now its time to step out of the comfort zone a bit and move on to some more challenging projects. The next three that I hope to complete on my list are a Formula 1 Racing Car, a Y-wing from the Star Wars franchise and the Sanka Mark B from the anime feature, The Sky Crawlers. The Formula 1 racer template is nearly cut out and we're almost ready to begin... thumbsup

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
That is really great!!

gman_93643

Oct 30, 2017
I know its not an aircraft model, but its been a while and I just wanted to check in and let all the amazing artists here know I am still around. One of my creations has even found its way into a SciFi series as seen below! Hopefully I can divulge more about that soon...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
Nice!! What's not to like!! :)