SMS Sachsen - 1:200 scale from Dom Bumagi kit

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Hello to all paper modelers worldwide !!

I'm just registered in this forum and I would share with you the pics of one of my last ship paper models.

It's an 1:200 scale model of German Ironclad Corvette SMS SACHSEN of 1877 (you can find more information on this ship and about the Sachsen-class at the Wikipedia link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Sachsen)

The Dom Bumagi kit is really well designed and very well printed on right type of paper. Also the pieces dimensions and their joint are very precise and I had the possibility to concentrate myself on particulars.

One of the particular characteristics of this my model is that quite everything (99,99%) is all made by paper, including standing rigging. In many my previous models I used thin cotton thread or thin metallic wires to create the rigging, but for this Sachsen I have decided to use as much as possible only paper.

In the whole model, the only part made in a material different from paper is the wire that is sunning below the poles of the forward and rear cranes for boats... it was made by a 0,1 mm copper wire.
But is the only part of the mode that has been made from a different material.

So, trying to be a "purist" as much as possible, I think that I'll use again such technique for future model... taking into count that the use of thin paper lines for rigging is much more difficult to cut, position and glue than metallic wires.

here are some pics of the completed model

Have a nice time and happy paper modeling !!

ciao

Jp
SACHSEN 1_200 43.JPG

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Yep...not even the purest card modeler in the world is gonna be found trying to cut slivers of card-stock for rigging lines...though if there is one he is probably a member here!
Very nice ship model you have done!

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Thanks, Gandolf..

Here some few other pics of the Sachsen model, where rigging can be observed better.

The rigging are 0,3 millimetres thin paper stripes cut with a very sharp knife blade and a straight metal ruler (obviously having selected the right paper type both for weight that for strength)

eBRdz2wl.jpg

71YLiykl.jpg

Also the chain's anchors are made totally by paper (rings included)
ybeEZWul.jpg

ciao
JP

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
WOW! This is a very beautiful ship! You did a PHENOMENAL JOB on this project!
I fully understand wanting to be a purist, and only using parts of paper. I have to agree with my esteemed colleague (@Gandolf50). Most builders do use thin thread or wire for rigging like this. Yes, there are a few who will cut thin slivers of paper for such (I have to admit that I am one of them. However, it is only to prove to myself that I can work with parts that are that small. Yes, I am crazy like that. :bulgeeye::sticktongue::hammerhead::headbange:). So, you have joined a very exclusive club. thumbsup

KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow!! That is a beautiful model. Extremely handsome. Welcome to Zealot, that's a great Introduction!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Oh boy, that's gorgeous! Thank you for posting it here. WOW! :Bravo:

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Yep...not even the purest card modeler in the world is gonna be found trying to cut slivers of card-stock for rigging lines...though if there is one he is probably a member here!
Very nice ship model you have done!
Thanks, Gandolf..

Here some few other pics of the Sachsen model, where rigging can be observed better.
Hey I was WRONG and I was right!!
I was wrong as I now know of a wonderful ship modeler that did make the rigging out of paper.
and I was Right..he is a member here!!! ;) ;) ;) :Bravo: :Bravo: