SMS Rhein/SMS Mosel - Free Model Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
I am building this river monitor (Paper Shipwright - SMS Rhein/SMS Mosel) for the free models competition # 2.

http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/

Here is the print-out ready to be set free from the paper. I printed the model on grey card stock. The model is primarily grey with some white and minute amounts of red yellow etc. Those parts where printed on regular 20lb white paper. This should result in nice clean edges for the hull and the majority of the super structure. We'll see:)

Attachments

• sms build-001.jpg
    sms build-001.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 885

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
BuildReport 2

pic 1 - Construction of the keel plate and internal formers completed. Deck plates cut-out and holes made for guardrails.No problems.

pic 2 - Deck plates & fwd and aft armour plates glued on. No difficulty. However, the side armour plates (parts 33 and 34) are mis-labelled as part 3. They and the hull plates will go on next.

Attachments

• sms build-002.jpg
    sms build-002.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 170
  • sms build-003.jpg
    sms build-003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 143

rmks2000

Jun 29, 2006
Pretty quick work. I'm about done with the mortar boat, but may make another for the contest.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
More Progress

built the deck houses. Pretty plain jane boxes, so I added plastic windows. Kinda scrunched one when I glued it to the deck. I hope to fix/replace it.

Built and installed the deck gun and flying bridge platform. Sorry no construction pix. Had some camera problems. If you get out the microscope you can see I did the bollards as well.

Attachments

• deck house 1.jpg
    deck house 1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 152
  • deck house 2.jpg
    deck house 2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 92
  • deck house 3.jpg
    deck house 3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 122
  • deck house 5.jpg
    deck house 5.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 112
  • deck gun1.jpg
    deck gun1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 154

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
Thanks for the report. I'm following your progress with interest -- this kit is in my 'to-do' pile.

Regards,

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
cdcoyle said:
Thanks for the report. I'm following your progress with interest -- this kit is in my 'to-do' pile.

Regards,

My pleasure. It was on my list for a while also. The great thing about these competitions is they give you a deadline. :lol:

rmks2000

Jun 29, 2006
Having just finished the mortar boat, I'm very interested in your build. I'm looking to buy one of the kits but I haven't decided on which one yet.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
More progress. Some of the vertical structures look bent/curved. I am sure this is some sort of fish-eye distortion from the camera in macro mode. :wink:

Attachments

• mid ship 2.jpg
    mid ship 2.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 120
  • mid ship 1.jpg
    mid ship 1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 100

Clashster

Dec 1, 2006
The Conch Republic
Very nice! Love to see all these ships lately! I will definately have to add this one to my list! Thanks for the great looking build! And good luck in the competition! :grin:

rmks2000

Jun 29, 2006
Looking good! Has anyone built the Tijger, Smerch or HMS Kite/Staunch? I'm looking to build one of them.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Well, finally made some more progress. Added the boat, anchors, awning stanchions, ladders & guardrails.

Still have the anchor cable, hawse pipes and a few other fiddly bits to go.

Attachments

• g-rail-01.jpg
    g-rail-01.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 112
  • g-rail-02.jpg
    g-rail-02.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 89

Dave Treby

Mar 8, 2005
Totnes, Devon UK
rmks2000 said:
Looking good! Has anyone built the Tijger, Smerch or HMS Kite/Staunch? I'm looking to build one of them.

I've built Smerch and nearly completed Kite/ Staunch. Like all the Papershipwright models I've done they are great. Not easy, sometimes fiddly, but it all fits and looks good.
Picture should be Smerch- nothing to do with a windmill despite the title!

Attachments

• Windmill 038.jpg
    Windmill 038.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 285

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Dave Treby said:
I've built Smerch and nearly completed Kite/ Staunch. Like all the Papershipwright models I've done they are great. Not easy, sometimes fiddly, but it all fits and looks good.
Picture should be Smerch- nothing to do with a windmill despite the title!

Your Smerch is mighty fine. How did you make such clean looking guardrails?

Dave Treby

Mar 8, 2005
Totnes, Devon UK
Thanks for the kind words.
The railings are etched brass from Hamberger models. I buy them from Marcle models. Not cheap but they are neat and easier than making ones from thread, although you need to cut and adjust if you want he uprights in the right place

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Finito

Dave Treby said:
Thanks for the kind words.
The railings are etched brass from Hamberger models. I buy them from Marcle models. Not cheap but they are neat and easier than making ones from thread, although you need to cut and adjust if you want he uprights in the right place

Thanks - they really look great. I am sure they are less trouble than making thread ones.

--->
Well this has been a fun build of a great little model.

Attachments

• final 0.jpg
    final 0.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 107
  • final 1.jpg
    final 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 83
  • final 2.jpg
    final 2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 73
  • final 3.jpg
    final 3.jpg