Small but nice fishing boat...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I must admit, that despite having an Electronics repair shop for 10 years, I do enjoy working on cars far more, even electronics in cars, I enjoy machining, doing the sheet metal bending forming and welding. My back doesn't, but last Summer I dropped the fuel tank on my Ford Taurus and put in a new fuel pump, total cost $75 bucks. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
So, DC, do you like that last Kutter design. It can be made with a smaller cock pit, and more decking. I usually add the fiddly bits once I finish the hull, as I get a better picture of what to add. Let me know. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I really do.

I have been building a growing respect for ships of sail, far too frequently not a focus of paper modeling. If you think about it, the paper sails alone really give paper models and edge on some other mediums.

You've got a real pretty ship going there.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I will start paying attention to it, as the medical procedure I had yesterday is forcing me to be somewhat immobile. I would like to make something representative of the real thing and pretty too. I saw a picture of a Scow, that intrigued me. The bigger one is the famous Scow "ALMA". I don't know the name of the other smaller one. These ships can haul massive weight, with almost no draft. As personal yachts, the are vacuous inside. ;)

scowschoonerLILY1.jpg Алма 1 Kutter Scow.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, I have a Scow I am working on, Hull is almost done, this Scow had a draft of 4' feet, and could carry 55 tons!! :

ROBBIE HUNTER.jpg schooner-plans-1870-granger.jpg

Last edited:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Looking good. Let me know when you start the build thread.

I took the ferry over from LI to Conn during a recent rip to New England and that tub had not much more draft!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I know the Ferry you speak of. I took my motorcycle with me using that Ferry. It was a nice trip. ;)

subnuke

Banned
I have a book on building model Skipjacks and was fascinated that their design is basically down to one measurement. All other measurements were made in relation to it. In many of these old wooden boats, it came down to what size board can you get. The boat design is based on the building materials.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
As lumber was used up, it became harder to make wood work boats, so the builders had to become savvy and work with what they could get their hands on, as plywood (especially marine) had not yet been invented. These ended up with engineered sips that could be easily repaired. I recently read a story of a dug out of wood boat converted to a sailing vessel, it was around 60' feet long, 100 years after it had been made from a single early growth tree, and was sailed 33,000 miles!!. That boat lasted around 200 years total. If around today, it would have been able to have been repaired, what a piece of history. The oldest dug put still in existence, archaeologically, is 8000 years old!! The Mufunu canoe of Northern Nigeria, China has one around the same age they have discovered..

Mufunu dugout.gif Mufunu-Canoe-0.jpg

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
As lumber was used up, it became harder to make wood work boats, so the builders had to become savvy and work with what they could get their hands on, as plywood (especially marine) had not yet been invented. These ended up with engineered sips that could be easily repaired. I recently read a story of a dug out of wood boat converted to a sailing vessel, it was around 60' feet long, 100 years after it had been made from a single early growth tree, and was sailed 33,000 miles!!. That boat lasted around 200 years total. If around today, it would have been able to have been repaired, what a piece of history. The oldest dug put still in existence, archaeologically, is 8000 years old!! The Mufunu canoe of Northern Nigeria, China has one around the same age they have discovered..

View attachment 162854 View attachment 162855

That's really interesting, and inspiring, at the same time. Thanks for sharing it!