Searles radius

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Anyone ever hear of this??? I read this on Nascar.com

The Searles Radius was developed in the early 1900s by the Union Pacific Railroad engineers that laid down the tracks in Charlotte. The radius was designed to enable steam engines to go around the mountains at a continuous speed safely.

"They wanted to be able to run the steam engines wide open, because it takes so long for them to build up speed, and developed this radius to allow that, without the train coming off the track.

~~ Marty Smith's Racing Mail Bag Column

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/features/last_lap/08/17/lastlap_mailbag/index.html

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Tyson Rayles said:
Isn't that the same is super elevating the curves, banking for short? BTW didn't know they were racing locos at Charlotte now! What will NASCAR think of next?
:D :p :eek: :rolleyes: :D

ROFL!! :D :eek: :D :eek: that's great!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I never thought of that!!!!! I'd like to see that - maybe set up a "drag race" between locos, like the bus drivers do!! :) :) :)

I guess it's the same as super-elevating, I think they talk more about "Radius", like running trains in larger radius, to get more constant speed, but smaller radius allows for faster speed, when outer rail is elevated :)