Scratchbuilding is dead, I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Nelson

One of the guys at my model train club said of Model Railroader "Dream it, Plan It, Buy it".

The thing is if you use kits for everything, a modeler can look at your railroad and spot this building or that familiar building (the non modeling public won't be as susceptible to this- but we have already impressed them) , and they will see your railroad as a bunch of pieces, rather than as a whole; and at that time whatever effort you have put at building the illusion of a unique miniature world is out the window.

so, while some kits are too good to pass up, kitbash the buildings around them, and scratchbuild some main focal points of a scene, and the scene , where only one or two buildings looks familiar, can have enough integrity to help the viewer suspend disbeleif, and view the scene as a whole.

Bill Nelson (scratchbuilding all the time over in the Logging/mining/industrial section.

armchair

Scratch Building

Wow, I can't believe this thread died 3 years ago. I enjoy taking a bit of nothing and creating something. A peanut can became a water tank, a cereal box became a grain elevator, I hand drew my daughters house and made a card model - she is still waiting for the finished product.
I have a couple of 'clinics' on my blog http://armchairmodeling.blogspot.com
to build a log cabin diorama, a simple diorama for display and photographing train models, I am certainly not an expert, but a lot of people don't believe they can even do the simple things so I try to encourage them by documenting my efforts and failures.
Back in the 1950's we still did a lot of simple builds of toys and such. They even had books of thing to builds. Most of us had hammers and nails, saws, tin snips and similar tools. I still have the scar where I plunged my Boy Scout hobby knife chisel blade into my left thumb. Sure we got hurt sometimes, but we learned to work with our hands.
Surely there must be more scratch builders who joined since 2009.

Armchair

Z

Zathros

Dead Thread. We don't encourage "Necroposting". However, I would encourage you to start a new thread with your Blog on it, and some pictures. Maybe you can revive this trend. It was what I used to do before I ever knew other people did this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.