Scratch built structure.

Hello all,

the result of inspiration from your Badger Creek Lumber Co. web site. The funny part of doing these structures is that they look better from a distance than they do through the lens of a digital camera!! Enjoy, and feed back is always welcome !

Drew Toner

Attachments

• big blue brewery315.jpg
    big blue brewery315.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 127

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Drew, and welcome to the gauge. The structure has turned out very nice indeed, just so the rest of the gang can understand what's been going on, Drew was inspired by my "scratch built" article on my website and, using those plans to scratch build his own structure from it.
Here's the orginal which gave Drew the inspiration.

Shamus

Attachments

• build05.jpg
    build05.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 117
Drew, When we look around a layout, we perceive the overall view not the miniscule detail. The camera takes your eye to every tiny part of a model (regrettably).

That's a fine model you built there, and i bet it looks just perfect on your layout. I would only suggest one thing though: Spray it all with matting agent it will take the gloss of everything.

Would love to see more of your work.

Errol

roryglasgow

It looks good to me, Drew! And like Errol said, it's the overall effect that is most important. The roads and sidewalks on my layout aren't prefectly level in a few places (and not in a "prototypical" way), but unless I'm staring right at it or looking at it very closely, it's not noticeable. But your little brewery looks dozens of times better than my roads, anyway! :)

One other thing... Sometimes the lighting that you get in a photograph isn't natural. For example, some areas may be lighted that are normally in shadow. That can account for a lot of the "oddness" of the photo over the real thing. I avoid using the flash on my (cheapo brand) digital camera, and I usually hold a lamp over the area I'm photographing so as to remove unwanted shadows and make the light appear more like sunlight.

-Rory

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Drew,
The camera never lies. More often than not, when you get a well lit shot of a model, and the look at the print, you "see" everything your eye didn't see.
If you saw the last Great Model Railroads, there was a SOO line layout done by John Proebsting. He used the Harsh eye of the camera to build the scenes on that layout. In most cases he was modeling the prototype and had period photos to work from and compare.
He would take a shot, review it and list out all the things he could see that were wrong, and then correct them. Second shot,
better, but now there were things which had looked good at first, but by correcting the blatant errors, had made the not so obvious ones stand out. Correct, shoot, evaluate,correct, etc. For as detailed, and "perfect"as pleases you.(or not if that pleases you)
In the end though, not that many people scratchbuild, and you are off to a great start. Nice work!
Pete

Scratch building

Thanks all, it is of course, HO scale. I really don't do scratchbuilding much at all, but I really enjoyed the whole planning stage, as compared to reading the instructions. But,... I realy like doing my Craftsman style Kits, for sure!!

Drew

Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Cameras are not the least bit forgiving Drew, but it looks real nice. What scale is it?