Scenic Ridge Progress Report

Biased turkey

Very interesting and detailed "Scenic Ridge Howto" Cannonball.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I had a look at that kit too, one thing that's bothering me is the track layout itself.It looks like a display showcase for Woodland Scenics material but without any real planning for operations.
One thing is sure: It looks good and impressive. Please keep us informed about your progress.
I might purchase that kit, but for the individual components: road kit, trees, foam, raisers etc.. but change completely the layout plan.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Very interesting and detailed "Scenic Ridge Howto" Cannonball.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I had a look at that kit too, one thing that's bothering me is the track layout itself.It looks like a display showcase for Woodland Scenics material but without any real planning for operations.
One thing is sure: It looks good and impressive. Please keep us informed about your progress.
I might purchase that kit, but for the individual components: road kit, trees, foam, raisers etc.. but change completely the layout plan.

I was going to modify the track plan to run two trains orginally but decided to stick with the original plan. This is my first full blown layout and I wanted to keep it simple for the learning curve.

Nomad

I am glad you stayed with the original track plan.:thumb: It's going to be great watching this come together. Thanks for posting this.

Loren

MCL_RDG

You CAN blog...

...if you look at the top bar- there's BLoGs. Find yours and start posting. Peoplwe will hafta "LOOK" for it tho.

Mark
Blogging like a mainiac.

who_dat73

Thanks for posting this cannonball I always wondered what these would intale putting together since I ant real good at track planning I love more of the putting together buildings and running I have looked at these at the LHS and now that I see it is pretty much a step by step process it strikes me that I might have to try this when I expand past my flat land first project

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Thanks for posting this cannonball I always wondered what these would intale putting together since I ant real good at track planning I love more of the putting together buildings and running I have looked at these at the LHS and now that I see it is pretty much a step by step process it strikes me that I might have to try this when I expand past my flat land first project

Don't thank me too much yet.
I'm a long way from done and I'm sure I'll screw something up along the way. :D

Spookshow does a pretty good step by step on the layout.
He also added an extra siding for a small "yard" in the front.

N-Scale Model Railroad #2

satokuma

I really like the Scenic Ridge layout...I live in a small one-bedroom apartment and it resides in the 'dining' room. I use it to test ideas and have added many additions to the layout, staying within the main track plan I have added a small yard, Diesel/Steam support and tracks into town. Working on an extension for the harbor now with a car ferry. The original plan could easily be built as a module as well. Wish that I had done a blog but there are photos of the early days of the BearCatRR.
:mrgreen:I like what you have done...clean and well documented. What are you using for track. I used mostly Atlas Flex and soldered it all together and dropped electrical about every 1 foot. All DC, one block for the main and one each for the Town and Yard. I still find details that I can add or an idea I can try.
abc.jpg

aev.jpg

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I really like the Scenic Ridge layout...I live in a small one-bedroom apartment and it resides in the 'dining' room. I use it to test ideas and have added many additions to the layout, staying within the main track plan I have added a small yard, Diesel/Steam support and tracks into town. Working on an extension for the harbor now with a car ferry. The original plan could easily be built as a module as well. Wish that I had done a blog but there are photos of the early days of the BearCatRR.
:mrgreen:I like what you have done...clean and well documented. What are you using for track. I used mostly Atlas Flex and soldered it all together and dropped electrical about every 1 foot. All DC, one block for the main and one each for the Town and Yard. I still find details that I can add or an idea I can try.
Whoah!
You really have added to it!
eek.gif

I'm using the Atlas track pack.
I thought about going flex but I was too scared to try cutting and soldering track. Also, I got a deal on the track pack for $45.00 so It won out on two counts.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
It looks like a display showcase for Woodland Scenics material but without any real planning for operations.
I'm not sure, but I think that was the intention. :mrgreen:

satokuma,
You have a very nice example there, of what can be done to make a commercial product like scenic ridge, look so much better. Nice work!

http://forum.zealot.com/t110256/ is a thread on a scenic ridge build. This was scenery and track only, for a customer, when I was still working at "the hobby shop".
We used water/whiteglue/detergent mix for all the scenery. The Woodland Scenics "Scenery Cement" just didn't hold well enough for our purposes. The customer never did get back to us with pictures.....the shop closed shortly after this project was completed.