Scale People

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
Virginian's question on DanceHall people has prompted this one.
I've noticed as I'm sure we all have that HO scale people aren't all the same size.
Now I'm not that much of a purest, but I'm wondering which company makes the true 1:87 scale?
Life-Like is different than Preiser etc...
By the way, I've run across a great supplier catalog you might want to look into for preiser and layout details...
Scenic Express

Any thoughts?

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

[This message has been edited by Shay2 (edited 04-04-2001).]

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Rich!
I haven't noticed a scale difference, but I refuse to buy any figures that are standing on a molded plastic pedestel (Atlas). Those things are a pain to try to cut & file away.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Rich,

Take a look at my response to Goodfellows Dance....

Preiser makes a set of American figures which are notably taller and FATTER than their regular run of European people. North American's tend to be taller and fatter compared to their European counterpart's prototype. Likewise, Preiser makes a set of Asians called "Foreigners" In step with anthropologial reality, the Asians are notably shorter than the European figures.

Obviously, there's something in the water!
wink.gif

As for "Who makes the most realistic sized figure?", that's probably up to you. Have you ever compared the size of a door on an American kit and a European kit? The door on the Euro is smaller because they don't require a large entry way.

Now here's one for you. Remember the "Beatnik" figures from the 60's? Who made them, and are they still available? MERTEN makes a nice set of "Hippies". They're "Long hairs" slumped over, standing and sitting in green military coats and blue dungarees. In numbers, they make any corner of the 60's & 70's look convincing.

George.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Well, my Preiser N scale folks scale out at about 5 1/2 ft. tall, which looks fine to me. (I'm not one to dicker over 2 or 3 inches in 1:160)
wink.gif

I just finished painting about a half dozen of them...Whew!! - Talk about an exercise in controlled breathing!
rolleyes.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
There is a good reason as to why scale people are different in height.
1 - HO people
2 - 00 people
HO is 3.5mm to the foot
00 is 4mm to the foot
Manufactures cater for both, I know that sometimes they put on the side of the packet 00/HO, but that is a wrong statement to make.

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 04-11-2001).]