Sawmill layout inside

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Here is a typical sawmill layout, logs are brought up from the log pond, and are transported through the mill without turning them around. In one end and out the other all cut up :D
sawdeck.jpg

Shamus
wink.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
The carriage brings logs out of the water to the table, and no it not a split log, just my drawing
The aim of the Edger was to remove the wane from the edge of boards, and also to make them a standard width. The press rollers were almost always powered, and were mounted with rip saws.
Shamus
wink.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
More photo's on the inside of a sawmill.

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• 4pics.jpg
    4pics.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 330

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There was a big lumber yard on the edge of the town I grew up in. I don't think they took in raw logs, but they did a roaring trade making construction lumber. (They weren't on the river and the river wasn't usable at that point anyway.)
What I do remember was what seemed like acres of sawdust (large woodchip sawdust) spread over fields past where they stored the finished wood.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi David, sounds like a good idea to try and model that kind of lumber yard. large woodchip sawdust all over the place. Yeah sound good to me.
Shamus
wink.gif

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think the sawdust yard might just cover a 4x8 sheet of pywood, with a double row of lumber stacks along the road in.
Oh, I just remembered they had an icehouse (or the remains of one) down at the river end. Probably what they were keeping the sawdust for. Ice was cut from the river in winter and stored for use in summer. I think they used sawdust to insulate it.
(This was in the fifties. There was still ice delivery in town. House across the street had an ice-box, not a refrigerator. Ice cart was horse drawn. We lived in an apartment building and we had a refrigerator, hooked up to a mechanism in the basement!)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi David, thats a real nice little story, we could do with a few more on this subject
Shamus
wink.gif

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I used to go to an old fashioned ice house in the Philippines whenever we were going to have a party and get ice for the beer barrel. 1/8 block was about 1 1/2 long, 8" or 10" deep and maybe 6" thick. They used rice husks to keep 'em from sticking together. Toss a couple of those in a 55 gal. drum and a few cases of beer and all the little plastic folk get wobbly!