Saturn 1B in 1/288th scale....

dhanners

Here is my build of Bruno Vanhecke’s Saturn 1B. His model comes in 1/300th scale, but I enlarged it to 1/288th, a more common scale for model rockets. I modeled SA-206, which flew the first crew to Skylab.

I built the basic shape of the model, then used spare copies (printed out about a percent or two larger) and cut out the corrugated sections of the body and glued them to the model to provide some accurate relief. Like most launch vehicles, the Saturn 1B has all kinds of vents, cable tunnels, antennas and other bits and pieces adorning the sides, so I added what I could. I count 166 additional scratchbuilt pieces I added to the model.

The hardest of those was the Launch Escape System tower. I took the kit part, covered it with wax paper and taped it to a small square of wood. This was my template for where the pieces should be.

Using a new No. 11 blade, I cut v-e-r-y thin strips from white cardstock. These pieces would make up the tower. I built two opposite sides of the tower (assembling them over my template) and let them dry. I cut them out, set them on their sides on the guide and added the other two sides of the tower. Once everything was dry, I trimmed it as best I could and glued it on the model, then glued on the LES rocket tower, also scratchbuilt, on top of that.

I’m thinking of tackling Bruno’s Saturn V next....

Attachments

• IMG_6307.JPG
    IMG_6307.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6300.JPG
    IMG_6300.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 12

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Very Nice!!...The description is pretty good but you might consider for next time showing a build process so people can see how you built the tower! We like people to see HOW things are done, to help them learn new things!;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Man, you have been busy!! I built at ESTES 3 stage rocket of one of the Saturn and launched it over Long Island Sound. The wind carried all three stages, which did fire, and chutes deployed, over the Sound, I lost it, but seeing that rocket with those "D" engines fire up and go so high, you could barely see the 3rd stage deploy. It was well worth it. It was the last big ESTES rocket I ever built though.

They are great for launching M=80's though, with a C6-5 rocket engine, they make for some really good barrage rockets. I used to bomb the bully at the other end of the block, that whole street end would clear our as no one knew where they were coming form. The family eventually moved, around 30 salvos later. Ahh, the 1970's. :)