RSCs and RSDs?

Triplex

The RSC-2/3 and RSD-4/5 didn't last as long as their 4-axle counterparts, as usual. What were the last railroads to use each of these?

doctorwayne

Hmmm, I'm thinking that you'd be the one person here that would know the answer, ;) so this must be a quiz. I know that CN operated a bunch of RSC-13s and -24s, and some "kitbashed" RSC-14s, probably the last Class 1 with this axle configuration. Beyond that, I'm lost. :confused::p I'll hazard a couple of guesses, though: Kennecot Copper, DMIR, and/or GB&W - the first 'cause it sprang to mind (proving that an empty mind can be a dangerous thing :p:twisted: ), the second when I realised that my mind wasn't totally empty,:rolleyes: and the third because it was all-Alco for so long.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE GBW!!!:wav:

they had:
4 RS-3's ran till '93
4 RS-2's ran till '76-'78
NO RSC-2's &3's:cry:
NO RSD-4&5's:cry:

:deano: -Deano

Bones

Kennecot Copper had the last RSD-4, to the best of my knowledge. (donated to a museum as the only surviving RSD-4)
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad still operates a RSD-5.

I don't know about the RSC units.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Well, C&NW's RSD-5's lasted into the '80s. Seaboards RSC-2's lasted into the '70s as well, because their light axle-loading suited them to many branchlines.

Most RSDs and RSCs were either traded in to other builders for new power or retired them in the late '60s and early '70s. The 244 wasn't a great engine, and the 251-powered RS's that followed were a bit more reliable.

CRed

Wayne,

The DM&IR had RSD-15's and other then some C-630's they got from UP were the only Alcos they ever had.

Chris

Triplex

I know that CN operated a bunch of RSC-13s and -24s, and some "kitbashed" RSC-14s, probably the last Class 1 with this axle configuration. Beyond that, I'm lost.
The RSC-13s and RSC-24s were withdrawn about '76. I would've included them in the question, except that I knew that they went before the last RSD-4/5s. My (unstated) real question was "What was the last low-hood 6-axle Alco?" I know about the RSC-14s. Interesting, yes, but not of concern here.

And yes, I know of the RSC-2/3s in Portugal, some of which lasted to the beginning of this century. I believe they were re-engined by GE in the 70s, though. Anyway, at the moment, I'm concerned with North America.
the second when I realised that my mind wasn't totally empty
Maybe you were thinking of LS&I? They had RSD-12s and RSD-15s, but I don't recall any low-hood RSC/RSDs.

Bones

"What was the last low-hood 6-axle Alco?"

Do you mean the last one to roll off the assembly line? Last one to operate? Last one in use by a Class I road?

It is a bit of an ambiguous question.