Royal Guard / Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
And here are the final pictures.
I hope you all have enjoyed this build thread.

Attachments

• Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_01.JPG
    Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_01.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_02.JPG
    Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_02.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 11
  • Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_03.JPG
    Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_03.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_04.JPG
    Royal Guard or Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor_04.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 9

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
And this is not all. Please keep an eye on this thread.

Gearz

Very very nice indeed mijob, the cockpit sphere looks terrific (sphere’s are my nemesis) some brilliant bitmap editing tips to boot.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Thank you Comet. I did also made Tie fighter wings for the UHU sphere.
And currently i'm working on the Tie advanced also with the UHU sphere but this time I will cut it pieces.

Kolokolnikov

Easier to round out the separate pieces, I would believe? :)
You must first pre-shape. Then this sphere will look very good. But if you cut it into pieces, then it will lose its spherical look, and will look like a crooked detail.

Yes, it’s difficult to shape it like that. But you need to be very slow, careful, and most importantly, patient! I assemble this sphere for 2 days, glued each petal separately, and let the glue dry completely. The first petals are very difficult to glue, but then when is ready, it becomes easier to assemble everything into a single whole.

I also recommend using a quick dry PVA glue, as it shrinks very well, which helps to assemble the sphere. It also needs a very small amount, you should not fill the whole part with it.

IMG_20200421_140819_NR.jpg
IMG_20200422_123851_NR.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That is a fantastic way of doing it, and your results speak for themselves. If you use a tool with a rounded ball on it's tip, then you can form an compounded curve arc on each petal. You can put them together in pieces, and do the edges even tighter, rounding each petal as you move along. PVA glues allow dome shape forming after it dries, ZIP DRY allows the most, but does take a long time to finally dry, but not a long time to hold the pats together, and works well with water forming, which requires the use of a Pigment ink printer. Making the piece the way you have gives a great result, separating the petals would be more time consuming, but in the end, with the rounding tool, the seems would be visible, but not felt. Honestly though, could you ask for a better sphere than the one above? It would be pretty hard to beat. I believe that sphere would be better done with conical pieces, as rounding out from the inside on long strips would be easier. I've never been a fan of petal formed shapes IMHO. ;)

Kolokolnikov

That is a fantastic way of doing it, and your results speak for themselves. If you use a tool with a rounded ball on it's tip, then you can form an compounded curve arc on each petal. You can put them together in pieces, and do the edges even tighter, rounding each petal as you move along. PVA glues allow dome shape forming after it dries, ZIP DRY allows the most, but does take a long time to finally dry, but not a long time to hold the pats together, and works well with water forming, which requires the use of a Pigment ink printer. Making the piece the way you have gives a great result, separating the petals would be more time consuming, but in the end, with the rounding tool, the seems would be visible, but not felt. Honestly though, could you ask for a better sphere than the one above? It would be pretty hard to beat. I believe that sphere would be better done with conical pieces, as rounding out from the inside on long strips would be easier. I've never been a fan of petal formed shapes IMHO. ;)
Yes i use such tools, and start shaping from a large radius to a small one.

And I am also not a fan of such an assembly either, but if you look at the prototype of a tie interceptor, then it has just such petals. After completing the Apollo CM assembly, I will probably take up the Tai Fighter assembly. Then I can create an assembly instruction for this kind of spheres.

ti_test-1024x640.jpg

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Indeed thank's for your explanation. I'm now using a "golfball" to get the correct sphere shape and it worked well.
I cut the sphere in pieces to experiment with diffrent assemblies for the Tie advanced. I will post some pictures in the weekend.

Kolokolnikov

I just thought, maybe in a larger size, for example 1-32 or 1-24, it will be easier to assemble such a sphere, and perhaps it will be better to connect the petals. For a scale of 1:48, the sphere is not very large, and it is not always convenient to climb into it with your fingers to position the petals and the connecting strip.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, you are right, though the panels lines are almost invisible when you look at movie screen grabs. Hard to get that kind of fine line without using filler and maybe a razor edge for the lines. Of course then that involves painting and starts to take away from the fun and reasonable expectations aspect of this hobby. Besides, your spheres are amongst the best I've seen. :)