Royal Guard / Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Looking great, edge coloring isn't always the right choice. I think this affect looks more like construction detail.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Something went wrong with glueing the parts of the wing. :eek:
I didn't use the glue stick. So after drying the wing looked verry bad.

royal_20.JPG

royal_21.JPG

royal_22.JPG

So I have will print some new sheets and make a new wing.
This time I will use the glue stick. thumbsup

Reactions: Toutenkarton

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
It's always nice to have a left and a right wing.
So here is a pic with the new and old wing.

royal_23.JPG

So tomorow I will print a new template and make a new wing.
And I will never forget that I have to use aglue stick I have to glue big sheets.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I am sorry that you had that problem. I can see how the glue stick works better!
I need to try my hand at using the glue stick for laminating (especially when I make the BRTC25 Thunder Fighter).

Reactions: mijob

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I printed new pages for the wing and ofcourse the colours are not matching.
I used the same printer and the same template file. I'm not sure what happend.
Below some pic's with the colour difference.

royal_24.JPG

royal_25.JPG

Only thing todo is a complete rebuild :realmad: :headbange: :hammerhead:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Is is unpleasant. From my experience it is pretty common with consumer or office printers. It happend to me before too on X-wing build. But I have printed new parts after half a year, so it could be new toners (or runing out tonners) or amortized print heads in my case.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I will first finish the wings and then I will start to build a new sphere.
If this is just an initial built to test viability and how the overall paint scheme worked out, I would suggest continuing with what you already have and then when you are happy with the overall outcome, then rebuild it for your collection and display.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Firstly, coloring in the white edge lines can ruin a model unless the color is exact, I agree, leave it. Also, if you use Dye based in, the color will change, this is why, even though it is more of a pain in the butt, I stick to Pigment Ink. Your printer has to be made for that, most EPSON printers use Pigment Ink. It's not hard to clean the printer heads on Pigment Ink machines, takes me around a half hour to do my printers (each one). I only have to do this if I go weeks without using the printers, so for me, that's often. I never use the printers maintenance procedure, I just remove the cartridges, and squeeze through a huge syring I have with the proper sized rubber hole, a very warm solution of a drop of dish cleaning soap (Dawn) to around two cups of water. That does the trick, you squirt in through the rubber hose, never pull back and the water goes to the bottom of the printer case and dries there.

I'd finish it off. Try a layer of Satin finish clear coat, it might bring it call together. It's too good of a model to trash, and you could always play with the shading of the new parts to match the old parts by printing swatches, and remembering (write them down) the settings in the color settings of "Pain" or some other program. Revelle-Fan is an expert at this. :)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think the only solution is to change the color of the model. I can do this in Rhino3D, and get it really close. I don't know if other programs like "Paint' have a color palette that one could do this with. It's the Dye based Ink breaking down that causes this. When I was actively making models, I always printed out two copies, just in case. Pigment Ink does not fade or change color, it is considered archival. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I think the only solution is to change the color of the model.
I don't think it is the colour of the model. The template prints fine on one occasion but not on another. The file does not change, the printer and ink do not change, the printing program does not change, the printing result does. There must be something else going on. I assume it is the paper or the printer settings.

This is what I mean:

DSCF7272a.JPG

These pages were printed in the same run. The pages came out of the printer in exactly the way you see. You can clearly see the that the tile pattern on the middle pages are duller than the others, however, it is the exact same pattern on all pages in the original file.

DSCF7086a.JPG

Another example: I had to split the pattern in two and put one half on one page, the other half on another. Both pages were printed one right after the other, the tone shifted.

What I do now is this: Usually the printer selects the paper and printing settings / quality by default or automatically. Before printing I go into the printer settings and manually select "other inkjet paper - mat" and "optimal" quality. I cannot say if this is the cause but I haven't experienced any major problems with it yet any more. Of course it could be that I'm just lucky or it is only a matter of time till the effect happens again. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
This is what happend with my printing job. Indeed manualy set the printer settings helped a lot.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is a problem with the original file. It would have to be recolored. I've seen this happen before. The person who did the recolor/model, didn't do it at one time, and in shutting down the program and restarting it inadvertently had settings changed that either weren't saved, or is a problem with the software used, or how the software saves the color preferences, same issue, crappy program There may be a step missing that the user isn't doing that is not intuitive in the software to get that many shade differences. Unless the person did that on purpose? IMHO. You have to set the printer to the kind of paper you are using. I tend to use Text and Image on my Epson printers, as I don't use photographic paper, and it just makes the paper soggy, but not any better. ;)