Rover Vitesse 1:24 slot car

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Hello friends,

I am 3d printig Rover Vitesse. It is slot car in 1:24 scale. Here are some pictures of a prototype 3d print which is used for testing durability and driving properties of the model.

I was wery affraid of a durability of the body for slot racing. Bumps and desloting hapens a lot. But after few test rides, and one crash test, the car is up and running nicely. During the crash test only the hood and fenders cracked. I was wery surprised, because I expected the car will brake to hunderd pieces. I have reinforced the parts but did not perform another crash test, because i was wery nervous fist time and do not want to life through that again :). The car withstand normal racing colisions and situations without problem.

Rover Vitesse 3d print 1.jpgRover Vitesse 3d print 5.jpgRover Vitesse 3d print 6.jpg

Chassis is adjusted from 1:32 scale just for test purposes. I am working on final chassis with 1:24 parts:
kola var 1.jpg

My goal is to make detailed nice looking car as true to original as possible, but with acceptable driving properties. Maybe It will not be the winner (hopefully yes :)), but will not be last and will be nicest car on the track for sure :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
This is a project I'll be following. Looks great so far, I need someone to gift me a 3D printer :cool: My finances are already at thier limit just paying bills.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This looks AMAZING! You are doing a GREAT JOB on this project!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I used to slot car race, a lot. I made my bodies out of just about everything. I found that keeping that chassis aluminum really took the stress of of the body. The body just needed a solid connection to mount the body on. SOmetimes I would make paper bodies, reinforce them with Liquid Crazy glue, which made then really hard, then use two part epoxy to make wood screw mounts. I would coat the screws with Vasline, and wrap them with the 2 part epoxy, when hardened, they would easily unscrew. ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Oh sure,
Sanding is done on most parts. My sanding process.

After the print:
1. I sprayed two layers of filler/primer
2. I sanded with 220 grit sandpaper until plastic has shown up
3. I used "superglue" gel as a putty to correct small errors in print, mainly missing/not aligned layers on edges.
4. I sprayed one layer of filler/primer.
5. I smoothed with 320 grit sandpaper if needed, but not let the plastic show throught.
Results after different steps from this list are marked on this image:

Rover Vitesse 3d print 11.jpg

I am not aiming for super shiny finish, because this is slot car, and will be scratched and damaged sooner or later on the track :). So at this point I am done with sanding. For super smooth finish it would need at least one more spraying and finer sandpaper, 2500 grit and more.

Also, I have prepared and tested decals. It fits fine so yesterday I ordered to print them.
Rover Vitesse 3d print 12.jpg
Car is spraypainted in white now. The paint is couring as I type this :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Wow you have done a amazing job on this car. Thanks for your update.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Thank you mojib :) And you are doing amazing job on Tie Bomber, it has detail level that I like and need :) It will be my todo model for sure.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I know you are a rivet counter so this means realy a lot to me.
:yesyes:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Impressive work! The hull already looks very nice and shiny in white. I'm looking forward to seeing the first decals being applied! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you, It looks fine after white colour applied, but light reflections still shows layers here and there. One more layer of primer/filler would help it for sure. But it is not a shelf queen, so imprfections are fine and will be soon multipled after few fast repairs after the races :)