Revell Jolly Roger Pirate Ship - Plastic Model Build

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
Hi all,

I really loved building this Revell plastic model of the Jolly Roger Pirate Ship. It is the same one as hey have at Disneyland in full-scale form. I took a lot of time on this getting it looking as best as I could as I really wanted to create something a bit special for this model. It was sprayed where possible for the main hull coloring, and hand-painted for all the intricate details especially on the transom of the model.

100_3602.jpg100_3603.jpg100_3604.jpg100_3605.jpg

The plastic hull didn't exactly fit together very well so lots of heavy-duty clamping was needed :biggrin:

100_3606.jpg

I went a bit crazy with the rigging. I found that heavy duty thread smeared with Bert's Bees lip balm worked great to stop the rigging from sagging. I hate it when I see all saggy rigging on a model. I spent a lot of time layering the deck to get a well-worn look to it. The model has been released in several forms over the years apparently. It was originally the tuna fish advertisement at Disneyland. I did a lot of research at the time for it but I have to admit, it starts to elude me now.

100_3618.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
The last ship with rigging that I did I used stretched sprue, but the waxed cotton thread works good too. They sell pre waxed cotton thread at most hobby stores, as it is used in place of sinew for sewing leather.

Great work with the paint.

Reactions: mtrappett

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
The last ship with rigging that I did I used stretched sprue, but the waxed cotton thread works good too. They sell pre waxed cotton thread at most hobby stores, as it is used in place of sinew for sewing leather.

Great work with the paint.
Thank you for your comments :) Stretched sprue... that sounds like a cool idea. I will need some rigging thread for the future so I will check out the pre-waxed stuff for sure, thank you good Sir!

Reactions: micahrogers

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
When I was very young, I made a very similar plastic model. I glued the heck out of the seams because I wanted to see it float. I was shocked to see how many pebbles it took to make that little model displace the water and reach the waterline. I used thin plastic bags for sails, and mused to blow the boat across the rather huge Ball and Claw foot cast iron bath tub we had, very old house, with very old fixtures. Those tubs were so deep, The boat actually sailed pretty good, all things considered. I would put my snorkel on and lay underwater for hours after school to relax in that tub. Those tubs bring a fortune now. Just making it home form school without getting beat up or robbed was a feat unto itself those days.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
My family used to go to Disneyland every summer back in the early 70's when my father was stationed at March AFB, but I haven't been back since. Hmmm, I think I'll look into a trip there while I'm stuck in San Diego...