Remotoring a Bowser Traction unit

interurban

These can be bought with or without power.
I have both on stock waiting for my attention :p they are now getting it :D
I have run these around the L/O`s for years, and always wanted to "have a go" at remotoring. Why?? being me :rolleyes: I am fickel and never liked the motor That came with them , and once you have serviced them they are beggers to get running good again. They do have a nice new motor out now but it`s a bit of a hassel fixing it in to the old units. You have to order and pay too much.
Soooo here goes.
First picture, shows the parts used.
1 flat sheet of brass $ 6.00 Can.
2 1/8th U channel $1.20 Can each.
1 SW 7 bought at a show seconds for $5.00 Can ( not the one shown that was $ 25.00).

2nd picture shows the motor to be replaced.

3rd picture show`s it done.

Fast or what :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 218
  • P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 215
  • P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 209

interurban

The five pictures show the fittings after a lot of cutting off the original base unit to alow for the new trucks then the old catchers and step even the means to refit it back into the body.
I used clear silcone to bond my motors in place.

Attachments

• P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 209
  • P1010026.jpg
    P1010026.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 291
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 237
  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 202
  • P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 258

interurban

Here is the "new car" resting on the new frame.
The windows have been fitted. Btw the windows will insulate the motor from the frame.
Next I have to wire the motor/lights diods ect.

I dont want to bore you with those details as I am sure you are all up to speed on this and I covered it in the last project of which I` will post the link.

For those tractionaly minded :wave:
Have fun.
:D

Attachments

• P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 205
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 197

jetrock

Definitely inspiring! I've got just such an SW-7 sitting around the place...I'm about halfway done turning two halves of old Roundhouse combines into a freight motor body and the SW-7 motor might fit just fine inside of it...hm. I have a hatful of assorted traction body castings knocking about, maybe it's time to finally get them to earn their keep!

interurban

I have test run the bowser and after sorting out a insulation problem the Lady runs a lot better.
I will remotor the second bowser differently same process , this time I will try to mount the motor in original frame cutting of one wheel assembly only , I found the sideway mount rather tight, although it still runs well.

Have fun.. :)

Bill Nelson

Nice to see the old stuff getting an upgrade, I have an old Ken Kidder trolley, I have been considering getting a modern Bowser mechanism for .

I rally want a Bowser Brill unit too, I wish I had taken the time to design trolley tracks into the street plan in Harlow Tn on my logging layout. I worked on it for a while and gave up cause a simple point to point was all I could have done, and it would have taken a whole lot of time and work , and I wanted to get something running asap .

Bill Nelson

b1gy1n

Dear Interurban,i like what you've done,and i understand why,but personally i like the compactness of the old Bowser unit,was fortunate to get a few in a deal some years ago,cleaned them up,new brushes,and fitted a flywheel,this is the only thing i did,and it makes slow running much better,especially on the Steeplecab's,regards BIGYIN