Razor Crest from Mandalorian / Roland Tari

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
Port Ellizabeth South Africa
BEFORE GLUING PARTS TOGETHER, CHECK THAT THE TABS DO NOT INTERFERE WITH EACH OTHER – TRIM IF NECESSARY.

There are modifications to the tabs on R & R1 (Page 03.pdf) and L4 is no longer required (Page 08.pdf). The modified pages have been uploaded.

I assembled the parts of the cockpit as per the original shapes but was not happy with the way the canopy was joined and the method of the curve.
photo 01.jpg

I decided to combine the 4 separate parts into one piece and make alternative parts for the front curved side windows.
photo 02.jpg

Assemble part L3.
photo 03.jpg

Now curve the parts as shown.
photo 04.jpg

photo 05.jpg

Start by Attaching L3c to the right side of the cockpit and L3d to the left side as shown.
photo 06.jpg

Now glue the next tab, moulding the canopy with your fingers.

photo 07.jpg

When completely dry, glue the next tab.
photo 08.jpg

And finally, glue the rest of the tabs.
photo 09.jpg

photo 10.jpg

Last edited:

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
Assemble parts L, L1 & L2.
photo 11.jpg

Start attaching part L to the cockpit by aligning the centre.
photo 11.jpg

Gradually glue the tabs working from the centre.
photo 12.jpg

I found that it was not very rigid where the cockpit attaches to the top of the body so I cut out a section and glued in a 1mm piece of card underneath the cut-out to flatten out the mounting position.
photo 13.jpg

Start by attaching the cockpit to the body at the tab shown.
photo 14.jpg

When dry, glue the corresponding tab on the right side of the cockpit. Gluing the rest of the cockpit is a bit tricky and I found that the best way was to use thick superglue for a quick bond.

Fit L4a & L4b and the front lamps. Any imperfections on the side joins of the cockpit will be covered by front shields L4a & L4b.
photo 15.jpg

Join R to R1.
photo 17.jpg

Now glue the roof to the top of the body to the rear of the cockpit.
photo 16.jpg

Now for the engines.........

Last edited:

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
I thought the engines would be easy.........
I came to the conclusion that round formers were required to provide rigidity. The tabs on most of the parts had to be repositioned to make assembly easier and neater. I have struggled with the nose cone strips not meeting up properly but after numerous different versions, I think that I have got the measurements and sequence correct. I will try the latest version of parts this weekend.

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
ENGINES...

I decided to make 1mm card formers as there was no rigidity in the engine units. This would also make it easier to keep their shapes when gluing the various stages. Also, there was no inner cladding to cover the insides of the engine intakes and exhausts so I added these also.

The only difference that I found between the two engines was that one of them had a small piece out of the front cowl. For simplicity, I decided to make both engines the same. Therefore they can be constructed together as the parts are identical for each engine.

I was not happy with the original single piece front assembly part (E2) as I felt that with the three bands joined, this complicated the gluing of the bands to each other causing a “bump” where there were no tabs. I also found that sometimes the parts did not line up properly.

I therefore decided to split this part into 3 separate bands which made assembly easier and the parts fitted perfectly every time.
I “domed” part E1a with a tool made from a skewer and wooden ball from a craft shop.

photo 01.jpg

For applying pva with a toothpick or paintbrush, I use an old margarine lid on which I put a dab of pva. Any residue left over will peel off after drying.

photo 02.jpg

Assemble E1b with joiner J1 and assemble parts E1d.
Glue E1a to E1b (matching the colour pattern) and then attach E1b to E1c.
When dry, glue this sub-assembly to former E1 and then attach 2 x parts E1d.

photo 03.jpg

Assemble E2a with joiner J2, E2b with joiner J3 and E2c with joiner J4.
Glue assembly E1 inside E2a midway between the front and the rear (the rear has square tabs).

photo 04.jpg

Bend the triangular tabs of E2a inwards at 45°. Coat the inner edge of E2b with pva and slide it over the tabs of E2a and gently work it so that it fits neatly all around E2a without any tabs showing. Now gently crimp the tabs with flat nosed tweezers.

photo 05.jpg

Now glue the inner liner strip E2d in place as shown.

photo 06.jpg

Now repeat this process with E2c.

photo 07.jpg

Coil up the inner liner E2e and insert it into the cowl. Glue the top corner in place as shown. When dry, run a bead of glue along the inside of the top edge of E2c and fit the rest of the liner in place.

photo 08.jpg

Join rings E3a with joiner J5, E3b with joiner J6 and E4a with joiner J7.
Attach E3a to ring E3b.

photo 09.jpg

Flatten out the square tabs on E2a and then carefully run a bead of pva along these tabs as shown.

photo 10.jpg

Now slide ring E3b over the cowl assembly and fit onto the square tabs in the same manner as the cowl rings were assembled.
Make sure that the parts E1d on the front of the intake fan are in line with the red dot on ring E3b which will be the bottom of the engine.
Crimp as before then run a band of pva along the inside of the square tabs to seal them.

photo 11.jpg

Test fit former E3c, sanding a chamfer around the edge so that it is a sliding fit in ring E3b.

photo 12.jpg

Draw a line about 5mm inside E3b, run a bead of glue along it and push former E3c into place.

photo 13.jpg

Last edited:

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
Glue two tabs of ring E4a in place on E3b.

photo 14.jpg

When dry, glue the rest of ring E4a in place.

photo 15.jpg

Assemble ring E4b with joiner J8.

Run a bead of glue along the inside of the front edge of E4b and fit it over the tabs of E4a, note that the red dot on E4b lines up with the red dot on E3b.

photo 16.jpg

Chamfer the edge of former E4c so that it fits into E4b. As with E3b, draw a line about 5mm inside E4b, run a bead of glue along it and push former E4c into place.

photo 17.jpg

Assemble conical ring E4d with joiner J9. Join ring E4d to ring E4b.

photo 18.jpg

Carefully chamfer the edges of former E4e so that it is a perfect flush fit in the end of conical ring E4d. (Slide it in vertically and pull it back up using bent tweezers). Make sure that its face is smooth.

photo 19.jpg

Remove it and coat the inside edge of conical ring E4d with pva and then refit E4e, pulling it back up so that it is flush with the top all around.

photo 20.jpg

When dry, colour the outer edge of the former black. (I used a permanent marker with a thin tip).

photo 21.jpg

Trim disc E4f to fit and glue it on.

photo 22.jpg

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
Assemble cone E5c with joiner J9 and then glue in the inner liner E5d (it may need trimming).

photo 23.jpg

Chamfer former E5a to fit flush at the back of E5c. Make sure both sides are smooth. Glue disc E5b to the front of the former and when dry, trim it to the former from the rear and colour the edge black.

photo 24.jpg

Now glue it in place at the rear of cone E5c and when dry, glue it in the centre of disc E4f.

photo 25.jpg

photo 26.jpg

Construct part E6 and then glue it to the engine.

photo 27.jpg

photo 28.jpg

I have decided to not mount the engines yet as I think that the upper body need another profiled cross member made from 1mm card placed across the body from engine to engine to maintain the body shape and also profiled card at each "wing" end where the engines mount.

Last edited:

MikeBer

Feb 26, 2008
I've discovered a difference in the engines. What appears to be inspection hatches on the side determines that these hatches should be on the outside of each engine when mounted on the wing. I've therefore "handed" parts E4b and made them E4b port and E4b starboard. The amended pdf's have been uploaded to Mediafire.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I've discovered a difference in the engines. What appears to be inspection hatches on the side determines that these hatches should be on the outside of each engine when mounted on the wing. I've therefore "handed" parts E4b and made them E4b port and E4b starboard. The amended pdf's have been uploaded to Mediafire.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

Reactions: MikeBer