Rail Grinder

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
I took these shots today at Deer River, MN on the Lakes Subdivision of the BNSF. I was on my way to Bemidji MN for the local club meeting and when I saw this I just had to take some photos.

Dan

Attachments

• loram_rg311.1.jpg
    loram_rg311.1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 166

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Here are a few shots of the Loram unit in action.

The top photo is of the unit parked in Bryan, Ohio waiting to to out for the day's work and the second shot is of the unit grinding in Butler, Indiana.

Attachments

• grindercollage.jpg
    grindercollage.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 139

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Brian,

I don't quite understand: what is smoking on the pic?

For me it looks like the weeds on the ballast were burning :eek: (ignited by sparks of the rail grinder???), and from the tank car ahead of the caboose (??) a water sprayer is used to extinguish the weeds again. But then the ballast in the foreground looks quite clean and not charred in any way... :confused:

Do I misinterprete the picture? Can you enlighten me?

Ron

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Ron,

What you are seeing is the dust. When they grind the rail, besides starting fires, it puts fine particles of iron, rust and what ever in the air. Some where on the web, I saw a picture of a rail that had been freshly ground. Really an interesting pattern on the head of the rail. They have a dozen heads or so for each rail. That is how they get the proper shape back on the rail. Also, part of the dust would be the heads slowly disintegrating. Hope this explanation helps.

Greg Elems

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Running in reverse???

Looks to me that the unit is running in reverse in the picture(ie: the caboose is leading). Looking at the water the tank car is spraying, the ballast in the foreground looks dry. Ballast behind the water spray looks wet, like they are watering first to moisten(sp?) everything up, to prevent fires before they start.