Question on Pick-ups and Set-outs

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
brakie said:
Son,Always plan your work and work your plan..Never move cars you don't need to and remember you can back several cars as easily as one..

That's what I am learning:)

brakie said:
And above all never get your cabin in front of your face.[/qoute]

Errr.... could you explain that?

IandOFan71

Mar 20, 2007
Groveport, Ohio
You are indeed thinking like a real railroader. I never worked for the railroad but a friend of mine did and we operated his layout just like the real thing or at least as close as possible. If I was out of line with a switching move he let me know and showed me how to do it properly. I learned a lot from him and use a lot if that on my layout today.
I feel your pain with the turnout alignment. I did that on this guys layout during an operating session for our model railroad club. I finished my switching and had just started to highball when I realized a second to late that the switch wasn't aligned and I proceeded to dump the whole train onto a concrete floor. It was no where near my worst disaster but definately the most embarassing. I did however manage to get a few laughs because my friend modeled the Penn Central, so after the crash I said, "hey it's PC, I was just trying to operate like the prototype!".:)

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
IandOFan71 said:
I proceeded to dump the whole train onto a concrete floor. It was no where near my worst disaster but definately the most embarassing. I did however manage to get a few laughs because my friend modeled the Penn Central, so after the crash I said, "hey it's PC, I was just trying to operate like the prototype!".:)

Nice story! Thanks everyone for the input. I'm sure I will have tons of other questions in the weeks to come.

And, for those of you who haven't tried the operations aspect of railroading, you should give it a try.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
MasonJar said:
I also thought that having them right behind the engine would make for more "back and forth" for the cattle, but that was the rule nonetheless...!
Andrew,

I think having the stock cars directly behind the engine minimizes any shocks the livestock might receive from slack-action in the couplers.

Maybe Brakie could comment on this?

It probably also dliutes the smell received by the tail-end crew... the head end won't notice as long as the train's moving! ;)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Squid - I am sure there are pros and cons of every position. I guess CN felt that the head-end position won out, and so wrote it into the rules...

And the head end won't notice as long as the train is moving...

forward...! ;) :D

Andrew