Probable Layout.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,I am thinking about building this 2x4 foot layout since I can easily set it up and take it down.I gotta find something to keep me occupied.

2x40027.gif

However I plan on making some changes.

1.Eliminate the bottom crossover crossover and both switches since they have no real reason to be there.

2.Cut the yard from 4 to 3 tracks.

3.Eliminate the engine service track and engine house

4.Use smaller industries and use 2 on each industrial track.

Improvements.
1.Use the bottom track as a interchange and run around.

After thought.
I could leave the bottom cross over and place a industry there.

Any thoughts/comments?

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
I'm trying to envision what the track plan would look like if you eliminate the bottom crossover. Wouldn't that "strand" the lower segment of track?

Otherwise, it sounds like a good set of adjustments, especially using smaller industries and serving two per siding -- lots more "interesting situations" (re) spotting cars that way.

My only other comment right now would be that the passing track at the top of the plan seems very short...

I would be interested to see a revised track plan ... and of course, photos as things develop :twisted:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Overall cool layout...I'd eliminate the lower right turnout that goes to no where as well. It would be hard to locate all the turnout mechanisms anyway and removing those turnouts would allow for scenery in that corner. I agree about removing a yard track, there doesn't seem to be a reason to have four, and removing one would free up space for an engine service area or even a trackside industry...IMHO. (I'd keep the engine house but that's only 'cause I like engines.)

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
That little layout will keep you busy for many operating sessions....And your mods, as well as the other suggestions offered, will make it better, and eliminate the "spagheti bowl" look.
Keep us posted on this new venture...!!!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
riverotter,No..I plan on keeping the switch off the main line and adding another on the far in so I can have a run around/interchange track.That upper run around track bothers me as well..I would like it a tad longer.

Herc,As of now my thoughts is on a one horse short line.A local fuel dealer will refuel the locomotive and contract maintenance man cal repair or inspect the locomotive as needed..Any heavy repairs will be contracted out to a locomotive rebuilder or perhaps a regional railroad.

Russ,I also planned on adding detailed scenes..

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Larry, it just occurred to me that if you built that layout just a tad wider than 2 feet add maybe 3-6 inches to the width, you could eliminate the short run around track to the inside of the top of the layout and add a much longer run around to the outside of the top. Since you are putting all of this layout in a 2 x 4 space, I'm presuming it is n scale.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Larry, it just occurred to me that if you built that layout just a tad wider than 2 feet add maybe 3-6 inches to the width, you could eliminate the short run around track to the inside of the top of the layout and add a much longer run around to the outside of the top. Since you are putting all of this layout in a 2 x 4 space, I'm presuming it is n scale.

Russ,First it is indeed N Scale..I wish I could add to the width..This morning I remeasure my storage area and *might* able to use a 2x5 footer.I could then extend the run around track and add a switch lead for the yard..I would need too rearrange all the industrial tracks though however,I like the overall design because it fits my needs.

First time in many years I am at a lost on what path to take as far as personalizing somebody else's design.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Larry, I don't know what is available in n-scale. If they have curved turnouts available, using a curved turnout in the top of each end of the oval would increase the length of the run around track at the top of the layout without increasing the size of the layout, and probably with very little if any adjustment needed in the industrial sidings.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Russ,Peco makes curve switches in N but,the curve radii is to large for that layout.I am sure he used the common "train set" style 9-3/4" radius curve.

I may have to go up to a 2x5' (maximum my storage space will allow)and use that layout as a base design which may be the better of the 2 evils.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Russ,Peco makes curve switches in N but,the curve radii is to large for that layout.I am sure he used the common "train set" style 9-3/4" radius curve.

I may have to go up to a 2x5' (maximum my storage space will allow)and use that layout as a base design which may be the better of the 2 evils.

Larry, I wonder if it would work to use the Peco curved turnouts as a sort of transition curve into tighter radius flex track to complete the curves? Often times a locomotive in ho which will require a minimum 22 inch radius will tolerate an 18 inch section in the middle of a 22 inch radius curve, but would derail if you tried to go through an entire 180 degree curve at an 18 inch radius.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
OK, let's try it again!

Here's the plan, stretched to 2x5. Same industrial area, lost the track off the bottom, but added a passing siding and yard lead.

*EDIT* I used 11" minimum curves and Peco medium turnouts.

Attachments

• brakie2x5.jpg
    brakie2x5.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 13

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Oh, BTW, any of the curved turnouts available in N scale that I've been able to find are pretty broad - too broad to be used to good effect on this layout.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
OK, let's try it again!

Here's the plan, stretched to 2x5. Same industrial area, lost the track off the bottom, but added a passing siding and yard lead.

*EDIT* I used 11" minimum curves and Peco medium turnouts.

L ike that plan..Its simple,got a switch lead,run around..All needed for my planned operations.

However I will need to add a interchange track because that will be the heart of the operation and *may* straighten the right side industrial tracks so I can add a small town area..

I even came up with a new 1 horse short line as well as doubling for a NS/C&HV branch line..sign1

Funny thing that..I came up with a ops plan and short line but,was stuck on the track plan.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Larry, would it work to take that one industrial track that goes straight off to the right and make it descend into a cut to go under the right side of the loop to form an interchange track.

The other possibility is to redo the plan with the original 9 3/4 inch radius, and regain the interchange track at the bottom of the plan?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
OK Larry, how's this grab you?

I cut the radius on the left end to 10", and added an interchange track. I also set up the industrial leads to open up the middle a bit more.

Attachments

• brakie_int.jpg
    brakie_int.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 14

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
First I been under the weather with a cold for the last few days..Sorry for the long time between replies.

Ok..Yes I could squeeze in a 2x5 tops.I like that 3x5 plan.
The interchange is important because the crew will start their work day by firing up the locomotive and then making a light move to the interchange track to pick the cars and then return to the yard to make up their daily trains..The first train out will be to JKL steel doors with coil loads(4 laps-each lap equals 1 mile).After switching out JKL they will return the empty cars to the yard and pick up their second train and head out to switch the other industries.Upon returning to the yard they will pickup the empty coil cars and take all cars to the interchange and then will return to the yard light and proceed to shut the engine down and call it a day.

That's why the interchange plays such a important roll.Short line modeling at its best base(very) loosely on R.J.Corman's Western Ohio lines out of St.Marys Oh.The Corman crew makes only one trip to the CSX interchange at Lima whereas I will be making 2 trips to the NS interchange since its 2 miles from the yard and car storge will be limited due to overflow cars and empty car storage.We use Railbox,Gonx,GATX and ACFX cars for our shippers.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
OK, I thought a bit more about this, and wondered if access to the back of the layout might be problematic. I also thought that using train cassettes would make the interchange a bit more functional, so if it came off the front of the layout, it would be easier to access.

Attachments

• brakie_int_2.jpg
    brakie_int_2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 33