Preliminaries for DS9 Operation Return diorama

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
I'm currently in the research stage for building a diorama based on Operation Return in DS9. The scale will have to be around 1:8000 because of restraints on the amount of space I have. This will make DS9 between 7" and 8" in diameter, the Galaxy class and Jem'Hadar cruisers around 3" in length and the Federation attack fighters around 1/4" in length. There is no pattern currently available for Jem'Hadar cruisers so I'll have to try building them using Drex Files. I'll try to convert the Valkyrie template by Bones to bring it more in line with a Federation attack fighter, but a massively shrunk orthographic might be easier... I think this one will be the most challenging since it's only going to be around 5mm long, so I'll try a test build of one of these and a Jem'Hadar cruiser to see if it's possible to start a proper build log.
So far I've seen references to a possible 14 classes of Federation ships, 2 classes of Klingon ships, 2 classes of Cardassian ships and 2 classes of Jem'Hadar ships. These are as follows:-
FEDERATION:-
Akira (7+) - USS Mateo NCC 63002 is named
Centaur (1+) - USS Centaur NCC 42043 is named
Defiant (1) - USS Defiant NX 74205
Excelsior (8+) - USS Fredrickson NCC 42111 and USS Hood NCC 42296 are named
Federation Attack Fighter (10+)
Galaxy (10+) - USS Galaxy NCC 70637, USS Magellan NCC 71820, USS Trinculo NCC 71867 and USS Venture NCC 71854 are named
Jupp USS Jupp
Miranda (14+) - USS Majestic NCC 31060 (destroyed), USS Sitak NCC 32591 (destroyed), USS Trial NCC 1948 and possibly USS Cortez NCC 1834 are named
Nebula
Olympic

Sabre (3+)
Sovereign
Steamrunner (3+)
Yeager
Those in red need confirmation.

KLINGON:-
Bird of Prey (5+) - IKS Rotarran is named
Vor'Cha (3+)
CARDASSIAN:-
Galor (10+)
Hideki (5+)
JEM'HADAR
Cruiser (5+)
Fighter (10+)
There are no patterns available for Jupp or Yeager classes, so I'm kinda hoping that they weren't there ;)

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
Well, I'm not Professor Farnsworth so - "Bad news everyone!"
After searching the net for three days I can't find ortho's for either the attack fighter or the Jem'Hadar cruiser and since there are loads of each involved in most of the Dominion War battles I'll have to come up with something else. There's nothing for the Chin'Toka OWPs either so I can't even have them as a background picture :(. I'll just make up something that involves DS9, Cardassian ships, Jem'Hadar bugs and mibbe Breen cruisers (o_O) fighting against Starfleet and Klingon ships. I'm itching to build a few Vor'chas being rammed by Jemmie bugs :rolleyes:.

Reactions: Cforrest900

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
My knight in shining armour sent me a jemmie cruiser - woohoo! :D I also found a Peregrine attack vessel schematic which I can adapt, so I'm back on track for Operation Return :D

Reactions: D-WHALE

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
I found this in the Google sketch up wearhouse

Attachments

• dominion cruser.jpg
    dominion cruser.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 15

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
oh, I see that you found one while I was looking on my HD for this one

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
I also got the Federation attack fighter at Google sketch up warehouse. It is the same as the peragrine class only smaller (according to what i have seen).

Attachments

• peragrine class.jpg
    peragrine class.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 14

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Anything DS9 would be so welcomed. One of the best series, yet never shown and so poorly represented! Looking forward to your vision! :)

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@ennder Thank-you so much for looking for them! :D I had a brief fling with sketchup last year, but I lost my patience with it quite quickly :confused:. I reckon that the differences between the Peregrine and attack fighter won't be noticed much at the size I'm building them - lol - 30m turns into something like 5mm, although I've not started on the maths for rescaling to 1:8000...

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@zathros I'll be starting to build as soon as I finish my calculations... ...and restock on ink! lol I'm quite amazed at the number of species yet to be tackled from DS9, although the Breen and Jem'Hadar look like total nightmares to try and build templates for! There are still the Bajorans, Flaxians, Tosk and Wadi (to name a few) that look less complicated though, not to mention the Hutzel, Jupp and Elkins classes. Still, I'm not a designer and I'm just really, really grateful for the work done by the designers that lets me build my scenes :D

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
@zathros I'll be starting to build as soon as I finish my calculations... ...and restock on ink! lol I'm quite amazed at the number of species yet to be tackled from DS9, although the Breen and Jem'Hadar look like total nightmares to try and build templates for! There are still the Bajorans, Flaxians, Tosk and Wadi (to name a few) that look less complicated though, not to mention the Hutzel, Jupp and Elkins classes. Still, I'm not a designer and I'm just really, really grateful for the work done by the designers that lets me build my scenes :D

The way that you build some of your ships by layering may mean that I can offer you some help. If you can name a ship in particular, I may be able to slice it up for you, give you the necessary thicknesses needed, etc, but you will have to give me one dimension, the rest I can use parametric scaling to bring into line. The painting, well, we will have to see what it is you want. I can color in anything, but it still depends on what you need. :)