Plotter cutters useful for MRR?

Dec 6, 2007
rbdhd.t35.com
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has experiance in these and what they used them for such as styrene cutting or bass wood. Can you program it to cut any shape you want or just basic shapes. I figure since you can cut letters that it will cut more then basic shapes.
Dave

Art Decko

Oct 26, 2006
Shanghai, P.R.C.
It cuts whatever shapes you want. You use software to design a "cutting path" and download it to the cutter - basically the same way a printer or laser cutter works.

If you want to see one in action, just go over to this thread and watch Kooklik using it to design his extraordinary card model of a Union Pacific "Big Boy". He uses a Craft Robo for cutting some of his parts, for making decals and airbrushing masks. You can see some photos of it in use at the top of page 12 of that thread.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Cutting styrene

Search for Hudson Life Building on www.nscalelimited.com. A number of the detail parts were cut from .01" styrene on a craft cutter for this high rise scratch build.

JamesG

Feb 11, 2011
My wife uses the CRICUT machine, and she likes it for her quilting hobby. To cut thicker stuff you need an attachment that allows for deeper pentration of the knife. She tells me the price is dropping on them as they are bringing a newer, larger, version onto the market.

I haven't used it, but it may come in handy.

clevermod01

designer at clever models
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
www.clevermodel.net
The Circut is too light weight and non programmable to be much use. The most likely machines are the Craft robo (European) The silhouette, The gazelle, and the KNK models.
some of these are already being used to cut and scribe plastic with good results. prices are from $300 to $600 and higher but these are serious machines.