Piper Cub J3 Update - May 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wad_Cutter

I've fool around with this aircraft for a while now and thought it was time for a update. The wheels were made today, wings still have to be glued on and then the wrap around windows, I have to give Skybolt Bob, Jr. and Willygoat and so many others for all the help. Still a ways to go but I can see the day light. Thank you.

PS-No, those are not hooby store wheels. Paper sanded and colored.

Attachments

• 1337277321256.jpg
    1337277321256.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1337297132144.jpg
    1337297132144.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1337296725150.jpg
    1337296725150.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1337187252619.jpg
    1337187252619.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 14
Z

Zathros

I have done extensive work on Real Piper Cubs, when I worked under an A&P, A.I.. Lovely plane, usually overloaded!

Nice build, very clean and crisp lines. You have a winner on your hands. Turning a Fiddler's Green model into something believable is a testament to the builder! :)

Wad_Cutter

Zathros, sometimes I get the hint that you don't care for Fiddlersgreen. It was through there web site I first saw that I got hopeless hooked on this hobby. Also, I am extremely thankful to them because with out them I would have met the vast group of really great people I have met such as your self. wc

Z

Zathros

No, it's just that style of model. You have turned this already into what more people normally do. I would suggest you take a look at this picture and add inside framing so the cabin will support the wing. I would use Popsicle sticks or wooden skewers, cut down to size. The will make that whole section stiff. If you study it carefully, you could make opening doors! :)

piper_fuselage_9.jpg

Wad_Cutter

I reinforced the cabin framing with .020 steel wire and covered with print of outside of cabin on typing paper looking for something thin. The wire goes from the top of the inside of the cabin to the floor. I made wing spars which didn't work. I might have to revisit that idea again if I pt myself through a rebuild. Right no I am so depressed over chip reply I don't know what I want to do. There are a lot pf problems with model. Right now I'm going to build the regal size Piper simple windows just to give myself a comfort. I don't know of any one who has built the large version with clear windows. It's a bad thing to be hooked this bad on one airplane. As you can see in the photo the windows can't fit due to the wing. This is a common problem others are having. I have to say this once more. sorry

Attachments

• Windows.jpg
    Windows.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 10
Z

Zathros

Well, the first problem is these planes are designed poorly. That is a fact. They look like they are drawn with crayons, and determining where to cut and get a right fit is so tedious. You mines as well design your own from scratch..

You are not the first person I have heard of with a foul response from Fiddler's Green. Having read that response, I will make my own in a different thread.

R

RyanShort1

WRT Chip - He's been made aware of it before... As you may know, I run www.lbirds.com and I would LOVE to get a version of the L-4 finished satisfactorily that I could review and recommend, but the FG version is NOT the one at this point.

Ryan

Z

Zathros

WRT Chip - He's been made aware of it before... As you may know, I run www.lbirds.com and I would LOVE to get a version of the L-4 finished satisfactorily that I could review and recommend, but the FG version is NOT the one at this point.

Ryan

I have to admit that coming from Ryan Short, then it is fact. Ryan Short's reputation as a master builder precedes him.

R

RyanShort1

I have to admit that coming from Ryan Short, then it is fact. Ryan Short's reputation as a master builder precedes him.
Zath, I DID try to build it, and emailed Chip about it since I could not get the wings and canopy area to match up. I was just seconding what the OP said. I don't claim to be a master builder.

Ryan

Z

Zathros

That designation (master builder) is usually said by others. I think you are a fantastic modeler. :)

Wad_Cutter

Ryan, I have tried to build the large Piper Cub 6 times with the detailed cockpit and no matter what I do I still can't get it. It seems the wings are a major part of at least one of my problems. If chip know about this problem why won't he correct it? He has a team of modelers on his staff, why can't they fix the problem? I don't get it. waddy

Z

Zathros

We now know this model is defective. It does not good going in circles. I don't think he will get may customers from this forum. It's time to let it go. Move onto the 1000's of better models,that are FREE. I was never a fan of those models, they never appealed to me and did not seem accurate enough. :)

R

RyanShort1

Ryan, I have tried to build the large Piper Cub 6 times with the detailed cockpit and no matter what I do I still can't get it. It seems the wings are a major part of at least one of my problems. If chip know about this problem why won't he correct it? He has a team of modelers on his staff, why can't they fix the problem? I don't get it. waddy
I may have to re-visit this - when I have some extra time (ie. maybe not for several months). I do know that the OLD J-3 model actually fit OK, though it was less accurate. I built one of those probably 6-8 years ago.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.